Need a reminder on how to smoke a turkey

Started by Crimson Ghost, November 25, 2009, 07:51:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crimson Ghost

I have not used my smoker since last year - everyone raed about the smoked turkey so I will need to do it again....can you help me (again)  ?

I have a 14 pound turkey currently in a simple brine (same as last year) - I can't recall how long to smoke and cook for.  Is it 4 hours of smoke at 180 and another 4 hours with no smoke?  

Also, my wife has asked me to smoke and deep fry a bird again.  I have a 10 pound turkey that's ready to go - can I smoke it today and refridgerate it tonight for deep frying tomorrow?  If so, what do I do?  4 hours of smoke at 100 degrees?  or should this go fromthesmoke to the deep fryer?  If so I suppose I can't really do it since I will be smoking the 14 pounder.

Ka Honu

I've forgotten how to cook by "time;" I go till the IT  is where I want it. In the OBS, four hours of smoke is plenty, then continue without smoke till it's done.  You can always wrap it using the Foil-Towel-Cooler (FTC) method if it's done too early.

Most of us agree that when you start cooking poultry you should finish it before storing in the fridge or anywhere else.  I smoked a turkey last week to 125o (about 3.5 hours) and then finished it in The Big Easy immediately thereafter.  You can do the same using a hot oil fryer, oven, or whatever, but I wouldn't store a half-cooked bird.

You might try smoking the 14-pounder first and then FTC it while you're doing the smaller one (or you could "cheat" on the smaller bird and give it a bit of smoke taste by adding Liquid Smoke to the brine and fry it without smoking).

Oldman

QuoteI have a 10 pound turkey that's ready to go - can I smoke it today and refridgerate it tonight for deep frying tomorrow?  If so, what do I do?  
My to 2-cent is if you need to go this way is to take a cold bird, put ice in your water boil and cold smoke it with the heat off.

Otherwise I have to agree with Ka Honu: "but I wouldn't store a half-cooked bird."

I've stopped Mother from stuffing a bird she is going to bake as the way birds are slaughtered are not with the care of yesterday.

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Crimson Ghost

OK - but what about the smoked 14 pound bird?  is it 4 hours smoke and 8 hours of total heat?

hal4uk

Go by internal temp - not time - smoke/cook till done.

Don't expect the frying to "finish" cooking...
What the frying should do is crisp/"goldenize" the rubbery skin, and warm it back up inside.

If started frying cold and semi-cooked, you would fry the life out of it before it was "done".

Uncooked bird is scary.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Crimson Ghost

Thanks - I am asking about smoking only and not deep frying now.  If I smoke a 14 pound bird I need to roughly plan out the time -- otherwise its sort of difficult to plan.  The recipes on this web site state 6 hours and some people here say 12 hours -- so I am confused, roughly how long at what temp should I plan on....of course its done when its done.

hal4uk

Well.. that part has a lot to do with personal taste...

The longer you apply smoke - the smokier taste you will get.
Me?  probably about 4 hours of smoke, then just cook till done.

A turkey is BIG.  Needs more/longer smoke to penetrate than some things.
But, smoke, a very good thing, is kinda like whiskey...
A little's good.  More ain't necessarily better.
Case in point, review some of my stupid posts here ;-)
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Habanero Smoker

There are just to many variables for an exact time. Everything depends on how fast your smoker comes up to your set temperature, which would ideally be 250°F for turkey. The ambient temperature, and wind will have the most impact. If time is a factor, just apply the smoke in the Bradley, and move it to a preheated oven, and finish by roasting in the oven at 350°F until the internal temperature in the deepest part of the thigh read 160°F, and the carryover during rest will bring it up to 165°F. If you don't have oven space, you can use your propane grill; indirect heat at 350°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)