ABT's. Where did the heat go?

Started by RAF128, November 22, 2009, 06:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: ArnieM on November 24, 2009, 08:12:12 PM
Quote from: classicrockgriller on November 24, 2009, 06:31:45 PM
Raf, Even if they were big enough I don't think you would want to make ABT's out of Habaneros.

Don't listen to CRG.  It's simple.  One hab, one beer.  Two habs tow bears.  Three habs - where was I?

3 habs are OK until the next morning. Then it hurts.  :'(

HawkeyeSmokes

classicrockgriller

Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on November 24, 2009, 08:16:39 PM
Quote from: ArnieM on November 24, 2009, 08:12:12 PM
Quote from: classicrockgriller on November 24, 2009, 06:31:45 PM
Raf, Even if they were big enough I don't think you would want to make ABT's out of Habaneros.

Don't listen to CRG.  It's simple.  One hab, one beer.  Two habs tow bears.  Three habs - where was I?

3 habs are OK until the next morning. Then it hurts.  :'(

Hurts real Bad

ArnieM

I put a post up a while back.  I'm not gonna look for it.  It went something like this.

My youngest daughter and boyfriend came over.  I had done some 'standard' ABTs and a half dozen Habs.  I put 'em in the oven to reheat for some appetizers.

The boyfriend is 50/50 Italian and Puerto Rican.  Strangely (to me) he didn't care for hot food that much.  The conversation went something like this.

Try one of these.
Yeah, I'll have one of the cute little orange ones.
That's not a good idea.  Try one of the longer green ones.
Naw, they're too big.  I'll have one of the little orange ones.
(Time to get the fire extinguisher out.)
He ate one.  He sat there very composed while turning bright red with his eyes tearing.  He said "These are very good" and then abruptly left the kitchen.
I give him credit.

For reference, I think the peppers were actually Scotch Bonnets not Habs.  Nice kick though.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

classicrockgriller

If I have to worry about eating something one day and it hurts and then worry the next day if it's gonna hurt.....I don't eat it.

Quarlow

quote (For reference, I think the peppers were actually Scotch Bonnets not Habs.  Nice kick though.)
LMAO you bugger.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

RAF128

Today I made some more ABT's for the game.   A few days ago I went lookng for more peppers.   Different store.   I bought more jalapenos and some red chilli peppers.   I tasted tested before and the jalapenaos weren't that hot.   In fact there wasn't much heat at all.   I then tested the red chilli peppers.  Now, that's what I was looking for.   After they were all done I tested the red ones.   Again, where did the heat go?
A couple had a little, actually very little.   I guess all the heat from the Bradley did away with it.    Don't get me wrong.   They were tasty but little or no heat.

Tenpoint5

RAF like the boy's said if you want the heat to be hot then you should try the habanero or scotch bonnet. The Japs just loose some of their Love when smoking this way.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

HawkeyeSmokes

It's not the Bradley RAF. Just the way peppers are. For me, if I want to make sure they are hot, I add to the filling. Red pepper flakes, cayenne pepper or some minced hab's work well. You have to play with it to get to your taste.
HawkeyeSmokes

ArnieM

I don't think the Bradley has anything to do with removing the heat.  That being said, people's tastes vary on what is hot and what is HOT.

I don't know if you did yours the 'traditional' way (cut in half and stuffed) or whole, cored and stuffed.  In any case, you can finely chop the removed ribs.  The seeds don't have much heat for me.  Then add that to the stuffing.  Or, as others have said, add more heat to the stuffing.

Open a can of chipotles.  Finely dice one chipotle and add one tsp of the 'sauce' per 12 ABTs for the stuffing.  If that don't get you going, then, yeah, it's Habanaro time.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.