Texas Clod...

Started by Thevenin, March 09, 2005, 03:47:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thevenin

I had a lot of luck with doing Briskets so I thought I'd branch out to something different.  Taking on the challenge I decided to try the Texas Clod (shoulder roast).  Now normally I'll do a brisket at about 215 till the guru says 185ish then FTC and magic!  So I did mostly the same thing, but @ 17hours in the smoker the clod was still only about 175-180.  Had to pull it and then gave it a FTC wrap for an hour.

Ok so it was soft, but really quite dry.  I didn't really care for it.  So my question is...

Is that the way they taste?  Should I have cooked at a higher temp (250ish) so the center would get up to 190 before the end of time?  Will it get that magic squishiness that a brisket will turn into once the collegen shifts?  Maybe It was too lean or ???

Or maybe I should have done a rump roast?  Either way I wasn't impressed.  I'll just make 2 briskets next time.  They taste awesome.

Any ideas?

Thev.

nsxbill

Thev,

I haven't tried a  roast other than a Prime Rib, and I pulled it at 135-140.  The entire smoke the top rack was loaded with heart healthy bacon, dripping down on the the meat below.  Cardiologist cringes![:D] [:D].

Quite moist and good that way.  Brisket is tough and needs to time for the collagen to break down.  I am not sure other roasts need a goal of so high an internal temp.  I defer to the others who have done roasts.

When I did the prime rib roast, I also positioned it at the front of the second shelf to keep it away as much as possible from the heat rising off the element.  At 4 hrs, I turned the roast 180 right to left to put the front at the back of the smoker.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

BigSmoker

I have personally never cooked one.  Its just too much meat for my family.  I use my food saver lots but actually prefer to constantly cook fresh(I'm an addict).  I did see a fellow over at the Primo forum just cooked one and he was very pleased with the results.  Here is the link for the recipe.Clod

Jeff

Some say BBQ is in your blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.
Some people say BBQ is in the blood, if thats true my blood must be BBQ sauce.