Pulled Pork Rub

Started by watchdog56, November 24, 2009, 04:21:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

watchdog56

I am going to do some pork butt's and was wondering if anyone has tried it this way? I plan on using a mustard sauce first and then 10.5 rib rub. Would this be good or should I use another rub? What temp should I smoke at and what IT do I need to get butt at? How long do you think it will take?
My recipe's are;
Mustard sauce;
1 12 oz can flat beer
4 cups yellow mustard
1 tbsp tabasco
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tsp sea salt
1 tsp black pepper

Rib rub;
1/2 cup paprika
1/2 cup kosher salt
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup granulated garlic
6 tbsp granulated onion  (Chopped dry minced onions)
1/4 cup chili powder (2 small bottles)
1 tbsp black pepper

FLBentRider

I would take it to an IT of 190F.

Depending on the size, it will take 12-20 hours.

As far as the sauce, give it a try, I don't sauce before. That is going to make a lot of sauce.

The rub has quite a bit of sugar - be prepared for some really dark bark. If that is not what you want, reduce the sugar. Ribs don't get the dark bark because they are not in the smoker as long.

The renowned Mr Brown rub is my current favorite. Lots of pepper.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

watchdog56

Do you happen to have Mr Brown's recipe?

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

classicrockgriller

Pulled Pork and Sauce
From Habanero Smoker

The Renowned Mr. Brown Barbecued Pork Butt, Memphis Rub; Smoke & Spice, by Cheryl and Bill Jamison.

Ingredients:

1/4 cup Black Pepper, fresh cracked
1/4 cup Paprika
1 /4 cup Turbinado Sugar or Brown Sugar
2 Tbsp. Salt, Kosher
2 tsp. Mustard, dry
1 tsp. Cayenne pepper
(Makes enough for one 6 - 8 lb. Boston Butt)

Directions:

1- The night before combine all ingredients in a small bowl or Ziploc bag, and mix well.
Message the pork butt well with 1/2 of the rub mixture.
You can rub prepared yellow mustard over the butt prior to applying the rub – you will not taste the mustard. I have done it with and without the prepared mustard, and can't tell any difference other then it is easier for the rub to stick to the butt. I now use olive oil instead of mustard. It is more convenient and easier to apply.
Transfer the butt to a plastic bag (or wrap in plastic) and refrigerate overnight.

2- Remove the butt from the refrigerator.
Bat and pat down with some more of the rub.
Allow to sit at room temperature for 45 - 90 minutes before placing into smoker.

3- Prepare the smoker by bringing the temperature to 200 - 220°F.
You may want to preheat 30°F - 50°F higher then you plan to smoke at, because you will loose heat when opening the door and due to the meat mass.
I smoke mine at 200 - 210° F.

4- Using four hours of smoke.
Apple, Maple or a combination of both
Continue to smoke, until an internal meat temperature of 185 degrees F is reached.
Personally I take mine out of the smoker at 175 degrees F.

5- Let the meat rest for about 30 minutes.
Then shave off the bark and finely chop that up.
Then pull the pork or chop it with a knife.
Or you can use the Foil/Towel/Cooler method.

classicrockgriller

classicrockgriller

watchdog, the link and the post are the same.....the link has the vaunted vinegar sauce which is very good (I do add more black pepper to mine)

watchdog56

classicrockgriller

I differ in smoke temps and IT times

I smoke mine at 220 and pull at 190 to 195 to 200 depending on how long I plan to FTC.

The FTC will allow the IT to rise about 8 to 10 degrees.

Ka Honu

Quick comment based on reading all your (excellent) suggestions: 

If I were a "newbie" and read this I would likely infer that I was supposed to keep the meat "on smoke" until reaching the desired IT.  As we all know (but forget to say occasionally), I'd be wasting bisquettes.

If you're a "newbie" reading this, you should know that only rarely does meat in the Bradley require more than four hours of smoke.  Any additional time is without additional smoke, using the smoker as an oven to finish cooking the (already sufficiently smoked) meat to the desired internal temperature.

classicrockgriller

Thanks, Ka Honu. I just assumed he read the step by step instructions that stated 4 hrs of smoke (Directions #4)

ArnieM

I've lightened up on the sugar.  Turns out too black.  The Turbinado works pretty good if you like the sugar.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Ka Honu

Quote from: classicrockgriller on November 24, 2009, 10:10:56 AM...4- Using four hours of smoke... Apple, Maple or a combination of both... Continue to smoke, until an internal meat temperature of 185 degrees F is reached.
[/color][/b]

I did read it and might have been confused (but, then again, I tend to take things too literally at times and am often more confused than the average turtle).

classicrockgriller

I see what you were talking about.....I copied and pasted this from recipe section and I did not read it all.

Thanks wise ole' Turtle. ;D