Vent Question

Started by jsampso, November 28, 2009, 09:03:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jsampso

I am 1/2 way through my first smoke in my new BDS. The smoking stage is over (I applied smoke for 3.5 hours) and now the unit is acting like an oven. I have had the vent closed about 50%. Can I close it some more now that wood is not burning or would that still run the chance of building soot and trapping moisture? I am smoking pork loin.

mikeradio

Welcome jsampso

I always leave the vent 1/2 to 3/4 open,  because you want to let the moisture out.  Enjoy your first smoke, pork always turns out great.

Mike

Slamdunk

I agree, vent no less than 1/2 open. Strange isn't it that with a closed vent trapping the heat inside your smoker you'd think the heat would be higher than an open vent, but as you've most likely read, moisture trapped inside your smoker will decrease the heat.

jsampso

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I will let you know how it works out.

Habanero Smoker

I often have mine at around 1/4 open; as long as not smoke is backing up into the generator. It also depends on the load and the amount of moisture that the load can produce.

Here is a guide to help you determine the best opening for you.
What's the purpose of the vent....?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

jsampso

Thanks for the link. The smoke is finished.

3.5 hours of smoke and heat  + 2.5 hours of just heat in the BDS + 6 hours of heat in my oven. =12 hours total. I got nervous after six hours when the pork loin (2- 3 1/2 lb each)  was finished at 172F. It still needed more time to get to the point where it would fall apart and that is what the last six hours did in the oven. Anyway it looks good and thanks for the help

ArnieM

Hi jsampo.

As for the vent, I preheat closed but never smoke/cook with the vent less than half open, if not full open.  That might seem counter intuitive, like you're like all the smoke and heat out.  It's simply not the case.

Now, I'm confused. 
This is my opinion.  Be aware I'm not an Iron Chef.  ;D
With your stated cooking times I'd assumed you were doing pork butt.  That takes a long time.  But, your last post said you were doing pork loin.  A pork loin is fairly lean.  I would never cook it that long.  Even the 172 IT is overdone for me, let alone cooking it longer.

You can brine it first if you like.  It works well.  A dry rub of your choice also works.  Even just salt and pepper but go easy on the salt if it has been brined.

Smoke for three hours at 220 with your favorite wood.  I prefer a mix of apple and pecan.  Then watch the IT closely.

• Slice and eat.  Pull it at 150-155.  Wrap in foil and a towel.  Let it rest for 30-60 minutes.  The finished IT will be around 160-165.
  • Pork chops.  Pull it at 135-140.  Same wrap.  Slice into 1 - 1/14 inch chops.  Put 'em onto a real hot grill for about 2 minutes per side.  Rotate half way through each side for nice grill marks.

Either way, the pork comes out tender and moist. 

I hope this has made sense.

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Tenpoint5

Arnie you stopped reading to soon. He was making PULLED PORK with his loin so he wanted to run it up to that 190-195 temp to get it to fall apart like a butt.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on November 29, 2009, 07:24:44 PM
Arnie you stopped reading to soon. He was making PULLED PORK with his loin so he wanted to run it up to that 190-195 temp to get it to fall apart like a butt.

But wouldn't a pork loin make pretty dry pulled pork?
HawkeyeSmokes

ArnieM

Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on November 29, 2009, 07:30:11 PM
Quote from: Tenpoint5 on November 29, 2009, 07:24:44 PM
Maybe that's why I was confused.  He said "fall apart", not pulled.  Maybe I missed the "pulled part".  If so, my apology.

But wouldn't a pork loin make pretty dry pulled pork?
I would think so.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Tenpoint5

Actually I have made a couple of these for my brother, His Idea, they turned out PDG. Not dry at all, but then I also use the dreaded foil during my smoke with a splash of Apple Raspberry juice in there to help keep things moist.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!