• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Hello from Central Arkansas

Started by Porkin Mindy, December 03, 2009, 07:56:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Porkin Mindy

I've been perusing your board for the last couple of days and find it fascinating. I am fairly new to smoking (been using a Brinkman with the firebox for about 2 years). I love to smoke meat, but the constant babysitting of a conventional smoker is just a little much for me.

With that said, I'm leaning heavily towards the OBS for Christmas. My question is, once I get the OBS, am I going to wish I had the DBS?

Tenpoint5

Nope, your going to be wishing for a PID. (Plug and Play temp control device)

Welcome Aboard.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum Porkin Mindy!

I have OBS / PID - Love it.

Made some darn fine BBQ without the PID as well.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KevinG

Nanoo Nanoo Pork & Mindy - Welcome to the forum! I bought the digital and love it, plug & play, but there's a lot of good things to be said about the OBS with the PID.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Porkin Mindy

Looks like I'll be getting a PID before long. But, it also sounds like I'll be fine making some good meat until I can talk the wife into letting me spend the $150 on the PID.

FLBentRider

Once you get it, get it seasoned.

If you have time, start with a pork butt. If not, a whole chicken will be done in 3 hours or so.

You will probably want to invest in a maverick ET-73 thermometer - it lets you monitor the smoker and food temp remotely.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OU812

Welcome to the fun.

Porkin Mindy, I could say some thing but I wont, use to date a girl named Mindy.

I think you will be happy with what ever you decide.

I went with the 6 rack just for the larger cabnet to hang sausage in, if they had the OBS 6 I would have got that.

As what has been stated, go with the OBS and get your self a PID from auberins.com it will be cheaper in the long run.

Keep us posted.

Quarlow

Shazbot, of course there is a lot of goodthings to say about an OBS with a PID that is the ultimate set up. But really you can get the OBS and then later add the PID. You will be alot happier with any Bradley smoker. Welcome to the forum and any other questions just ask. Love the handle.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

squirtthecat

I opted for something a little cheaper than the Auber, as I spent a small fortune building a patio to house my OBS..

But like everyone else said, start with the OBS and get a feel for what it can do.

You might want to start stocking up on the Bisquettes now.  Amazon.com 4-for-3 is the best bargain out there.

classicrockgriller

Porkin, welcome aboard. If the 4 rack OBS is what you have decided, the the PID will help you control temps better.

You have a cpl of choices unles you are handy and can make you own.

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=72

http://www.rancoetc.com/ranco-etc111000000-prewired-digital-temperature-controller-p-87.html

classicrockgriller

ArnieM

Welcome to the forum PM. 

I've had my OBS for several months and used it successfully without a PID.  Of course, a PID would make life easier because now I'm the temp controller  ;)

Amazon usually has the smoker at a good price with free shipping and no tax.  Also, as was mentioned, the bisquettes from Amazon are a pretty good deal.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Porkin Mindy

I appreciate the prompt responses guys!!

OU812

Just wait till you ask a question the guys here will be falling over them selfs to answer it.

hal4uk

Dadgummit!!!!
When I picked "Hal4uk"... Apparently... "Porkin Mindy" was available.

Oh Well...  You got it fair & square.
Welcome PM!

If you ever wanna trade "handles"... 
That'll drive 'em all crazy.
"Look!  Hal's starting to make sense!"
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby