Turkey...to brine or not to brine?

Started by pfowl01, December 06, 2009, 12:51:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pfowl01

Hello again everyone,
    Just like to pick some of your brains if I could. I know that you don't have to brine a turkey if you don't want to as long as your box temp is in a safe zone. Brining helps to fight off the nastys and make your bird more flavorful and juicy does it not? So is it safe to say that your safer to brine vs. not brine....although it isn't completely necessary?

FLBentRider

I brine for Flavor.

Safety is a side-effect.

As long as your box temps are over 200F - I use 250F for turkeys, there should not be a "safety" issue.

Ever since I tried brining a turkey, I have always brined since.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

pfowl01

Maybe I'll have to try that. Any suggestions?

FLBentRider

This is the recipe I use:

Ingredients

1 gallon hot water
1 pound kosher salt
2 quarts vegetable broth
1 pound honey
1 (7-pound) bag of ice
1 (15 to 18-pound) turkey, with giblets removed

Directions

Combine the hot water and the salt in a 54-quart cooler. Stir until the salt dissolves. Stir in the vegetable broth and the honey. Add the ice and stir. Place the turkey in the brine, breast side up, and cover with cooler lid.. Brine overnight, up to 12 hours.

Remove the turkey from the brine and dry thoroughly.

Smoke @225-250F with 2 to 4 hours of your favorite smoke.

Cook to 165F in Breast. Rest 15 to 30 minutes before carving.

Note: If you like crispy skin:

Take Turkey out of smoker around 150-155F, place uncovered in 350F oven until 165F IT.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KevinG

Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

MAK DADDY

I agree, brine!
It can be as simple as 1cup salt, 1 cup sugar in one gallon of water.
Just remember to rinse well before cooking.
WWW.MAKGRILLS.COM
NOW YOU'RE SMOKIN'

g

Brining is the only way to go. I only do it for the flavor & to keep the big bird juicy. I brine whether we cook it in the oven, barbeque, smoke or cook on the campfire. We couldn't go to my mother in laws last Christmas for the first time in 10 years & she said the biggest disapointment was not having a brined turkey.

Pachanga

After brining my first turkey many years ago, I have always brined.  In fact, there is no poultry that is cooked at my spoiled household that is not brined or marinated.

I brine for flavor, moisture and tenderness.  As far as any keeping off any bugs, I still go to 161 in the breast before pulling my turkey.  I am slowly pulling that number back but I still want a final safe temperature after hangover heat is finished.

This is my brining technique which is a low salt brine.  http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=12644.0

Good Luck and slow Smoking,

Pachanga

ArnieM

I agree with everyone on brining poultry.  The last one was the 15 pound TG turkey, brined overnight, injected with Cajun butter and roasted in the Big Easy. 

The brine doesn't have to be real fancy.  Just keep the bird submerged and keep it cold.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

pfowl01

thanks for the respones everyone....very helpful! I think I'll have to brine ;D