Hello from Alaska!

Started by stantonl, December 05, 2009, 03:27:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stantonl

Well I did it! I got the Jim Bean 4 Rack Digital. Didn't want the Jim Bean but that is all they had locally. Thanks to everyone for the welcome and help with deciding.

Quarlow

Way to go Stant, now get out there and smoke something. OH yeah and keep that vent open. Good luck.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

OU812

Welcome to the fun stantonl, be warned this type of smoking is very addictive.

You are going to love your new smoker.

You might want to get a maverick ET7 thermometer, it has two probes, one for the smoker, so you can see what the heat really is under what you are smoking and the other to go in what you are smoking so you can pull it out of the smoker when its done.

Kummok

Welcome Stantonl!  Too late to give you purchase advice on the smoker, since you already bought one (I've got 4 OBS smokers and will stick with them for my own style of smoking), however I can highly recommend that you get the jerky racks and the high temp silicon screens for your salmon smoking. Too bad Smokehouse Rob isn't still making the drying racks for sale....best thing a Bradley salmon smoker could buy!  You can try making them yourself if you're handy with welding stainless steel rod....see some pics of SR's at: http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=9480.15

stantonl

I'm finally seasoning my Bradley. Got a small brisket I'm going to try this weekend. One minor question. How long until you see smoke out of the bradley?

Tenpoint5

Probably 10 minutes if you didn't prewarm the smoke generator.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Quarlow

it won't take too long maybe 5 to 10 minutes. I'd give it 5 and just pop the door open quick to see if smoke is rise. You will have to advance the pucks through till they are on the burner.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

stantonl

Well I got the Bradley seasoned last night. I got my first brisket rubbed up and in the frig. Plan on smoking it Friday afternoon and throwing it in the oven to finish it off. I'll post back with all the details.

Larry

Quarlow

OBS
BBQ

OU812

Cool. Looking forward to seeing the results of your brisket.

stantonl

How do you preheat the bradley?

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: stantonl on December 11, 2009, 06:27:32 PM
How do you preheat the bradley?

I like to turn both the smoke generator and the tower on. Turn the tower heat up all the way and let it get to 250 or 260. Then load the smoker and when it gets back up to temp, start adjusting it down to your desired smoking temp.
HawkeyeSmokes

stantonl

I feel like a kid with a new toy. Can't stop looking out at my smoker checking temps. I already figured out a couple of things I'll do different the next smoke. I was wondering how long do you guys let the Bradley preheat. I'll take some pics after I pull my first brisket out.

Larry

deb415611

stantonl

My first couple of smokes have went pretty good. Learned a lot and the next go around will be better.  I did a brisket, chicken, and pork shoulder over the weekend. I need to figure out how to upload some pic to share. My wife says my new hobby is working for her. LOl

Larry