Favourite Grilling recipes!

Started by tsquared, March 13, 2005, 05:56:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsquared

Grilled some tuna yesterday for a birthday lunch and realized as the plum blossoms drifted down onto the grill in the sun that grilling season is here again! In honour of that wonderful time I thought I would start a thread of people's favourite grilling recipes.I include 2 of my favourites to start with. The recipe I used yesterday was out of Paul Kirk's book, Championship BBQ pg 407. I didn't put in the jalapenos as my partner cannot handle spices right now, but everything else was there and it was superb. I use a grilling basket for tuna.

Honey-Lime-Ginger Glazed Tuna Steaks
Marinade
1/4 cup light soy
1/4 cup light honey
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
4 cloves garlic
2 teaspoons seeded and minced jalapeno chiles
1 teaspoons minced lime zest

4 tuna steaks

Combine marinade, whisk well. Cover fish with marinade for 30 minutes , room temp or 60 minutes in the fridge. Grill tuna 5 to 7 minutes a side for medium rare, boil and reserve marinade for sauce. Heaven.

<u>BBQ'd gravlax </u>
I have used this recipe for more than 20 years, originally getting it out of A.J. McClane's superb book, The Encyclopedia of Fish. Gravlax is simply cured salmon which can be eaten as is (I can hear Kummok's groans now--It's bait![:)])in the fine Scandinavian tradition or you can cure it and then be the hero of your backyard party and grill it. I've had people refuse to let me leave a neighborhood party until I wrote out the recipe for them.

2-3 lbs of centre cut salmon or trout
1/4 cup coarse salt
1/2 cup white sugar
fresh dill if you can get it, dried if you can't
2 tsp crushed white peppercorns
Mix the salt and sugar together.
Fillet the salmon so you have 2 pieces. I don't scale salmon that are destined for the grill as I view the scales as nature's non-stick but you can if you want to.
Put 1 piece in a non-reactive dish, skin side down and spirnkle with salt/sugar mix and some pepper. Place dill on top and put second piece of salmon on, skin side up. Cover fish and put a chopping board and a little bit of weight, like a can of something on the board. Refrigerate. The fish will lose significant moisture over the next 4 or 5 hours so make sure you drain your dish. This procedure should take about 48 hours, make sure you turn your fish over twice during that period. You can keep the fish in the fridge for up to a week. When it is time to grill, wipe the fish off but do not wash it.(I use a rumsoaked cloth to wipe it off with, gives it a nice finish) Your pieces are now ready for the grill(or you can slice them thin and eat them as is). I personally don't turn fish over on the grill, but some people like the grill marks. When they are done, I slide my spatula between the skin and the fish and then onto the plate. My lab gets the skin. She loves grilling! Anyway, if you want to try grilling  your fish a little differently, try this, you won't regret it.
Tom

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

grilled chuck roast with whiskey butter
1 cup Jack Daniel's Whiskey
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup soy sauce
1 cup water
3 Tbls Worcestershire sauce
3 tsp lemon juice
3 tsp garlic powder
3 3-lb chuck roasts
3 bottles Jack Daniel's BBQ Sauce (all different kinds)
3 marinade bags

Combine whiskey, brown sugar, soy sauce, water, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice and garlic powder; mix well. Place roast in plastic bag; add marinade and seal. Refrigerate overnight, turning occasionally.

Grill over medium heat  about 20 to 25 minutes per side for medium. Baste occasionally with marinade combined with 1/2 part BBQ sauce. To serve, cut into thin slices.

Whiskey Butter:
1 cup onion, minced
4 cloves garlic
2 jalapeno peppers, minced
1 cup Jack Daniel's Whiskey
1/2 cup Worcestershire sauce
1/2 cup cider vinegar
2 Tbls black pepper, cracked
1 Tbls dry mustard
2 tsp salt
3 cups butter, cut into pieces

Combine onion, garlic and chili pepper in a saucepan; add whiskey, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, pepper, mustard and salt. Bring to a boil and cook at a slow boil for 8-10 minutes to reduce by half. Remove from heat. Beat in butter, 2 or 3 pieces at the time, until all butter is blended in. Serve at room temperature with grilled steak.

Oldman

Hey Guys way are you not posting this on the recipe site, as well as on this site, on the open posting board for editing so this can be added later to the Smoker's FAQ?

Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

tsquared

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Hey Guys way are you not posting this on the recipe site, as well as on this site, on the open posting board for editing so this can be added later to the Smoker's FAQ?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Which recipe site, Olds--the one you have going on your server? I'd be glad to.
Tom

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Which recipe site, Olds--the one you have going on your server? I'd be glad to.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Yepper! [:D]

Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

tsquared

Done,Olds. I just put mine on as I didn't want to presume Rob wanted the same.
Tom

Oldman

Tom thanks a lot. Now that the noise is over with I will get back to working on the recipes etc....

Plus JJC will be back soon and I've have not looked at the finishing up the Beef section with pictures yet and he will be hitting me with more work on the pork and lamb.

Olds

tsquared

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> Now that the noise is over with I will get back to working on the recipes etc....
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> Absolutely man, that's what it's all about. I'm grilling a fresh piece of halibut and a dozen oysters for supper tonight. [:I] I am somewhat shamefacedly admitting to buying the halibut (hope Kummok doesn't see this or I won't hear the end of it) but am going out halibut fishing on Monday or Tuesday--I figure a guy has to taste his enemies before he kills them![:D]
Tom

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I am somewhat shamefacedly admitting to buying the halibut<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Where I am at this is the only way you get it. Generally frozen as well.

However, Wed. afternoon I grab a rod and walked down to the seawall, and picked up 5 really nice summer flounders (flukes)using a small rubber tail jig. One of them was bigger than a door mat.

Unlike winter flounder these puppies have some really bad teeth. This is one fish you don't try to hold by the jaw. They can open their mouths so wide the first time you see you'll say Whoa~~!

Olds

tsquared

Those kind of doormats are always welcome![:D] (That was so bad) Very cool pic. One of the things I love about travelling outside my local waters is seeing different fish--thanks for the pic! If I nail a halibut on Mon. or Tues. I'll post a pic for you. Here is a pic of tonight's grilling efforts. 3 cloves of minced garlic, 1 shallot, minced cilantro, uice from one lemon and a 1/4 cup olive oil. throw whole oysters on grill and give them 10 minutes or so to semi cook. Pop the tops off with a shucker (or a knife will do) while on the grill and discard the tops. spoon a tablespoon of the mix into the shell and let them cook for another 6 or 7 minutes. Make sure the beer is cold and sluuuuurp!
Tom

nsxbill

Arghh!  Beer and bait!

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

tsquared

Hey Bill--you've been talking to Kummok! These are cooked !but I must admit I  learned to eat oysters when I was a kid in the dark.(around a campfire)

Oldman

WoW I got to try your oysters and mixture... Do you think I can get away doing them on a radiant gas grill? Or..?

<b>tsquared</b>
What do you all this oyster and mixture? I would like to add it to the recipe site.

Olds

<font size="6"><font color="red">All to this point have been added except the oyster</font id="red"></font id="size6">

tsquared

Hey Olds. Go ahead and add the oyster recipe to your thread. The basic mixture is fresh lemon juice, some minced shallot, splash of olive oil and minced cilantro. You could use any number of substitutes or additions.Onion and/or garlic instead of shallots, minced pepper sweet or hot, fresh lime juice or grapefruit is nice too. (I know that will appeal to the Floridians like you.) If i'm in a rush I sometimes just put a splash of BBQ sauce on them. Toss the whole oysters onto the grill where they will eventually open up under their own steam.[:)] While they are doing that, whip up the mix and have it ready. I use an oyster shucker and a gardening glove to help open them up when I see the tops have opened a little, leaving the oyster in the bottom half of the shell. Then just spoon a little of the mix onto each one and continue to cook for another 5 or 6 minutes.
I prefer the smaller oysters for this as the big meaty ones often turn people off by their texture in the middle. Oyster virgins (like NSX Bill[:D]) seem to prefer these smaller ones.Around here you can get a dozen oysters in the shell for $7 or so, and even cheaper if they are shucked. You could do this recipe with shucked oysters if you save a dozen bottom shells to put on the grill, plop the shucked oysters on   and then add your mix to let them cook. I don't see a problem about using a radiant heat grill--any application of heat will eventually steam the bit of seawater they have inside their shell, opening them up. When I was a kid we camped on the beach here on Vancouver Island  all summer and always had a 100 lb gunny sack of oysters we had picked weighted down with rocks below high tide line. My dad would send send me down to get a couple of dozen oysters when he was grilling some salmon and we would have 'em as appys. They were good days...
Tom

Oldman

Thanks I will add this to the recipes later today, and rework the picture so it can be thumbnailed.

Olds