Summer Sausage Favorites ??

Started by smokeitall, December 06, 2009, 08:13:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokeitall

I have made venison summer sausage a couple times and have used CurleysSausageKitchen seasoning.  It is ok but I am looking for some input on what you guys/gals have tried and like and dislike.  I plan on making some in the next couple of weeks and since I don't have a secret recipe I am going to order a kit.  Thanks.
SIA

Tenpoint5

Scott,
I would suggest using the Bologna recipe and double grinding it and stuffing into a 2.5-3 inch casing. When double grinding it comes out more like a salami than bologna. After you make the first batch then you can expand and start adding things in. Cheese, Peppers, Cracked pepper, whatever.
Nice part is you can do the batch in the kitchen oven and it will be done in 4 -5 hours.
Here is the recipe again.

Deer Bologna
For German Bologna use Lean Beef instead of venison
For 10 lbs:

7 lbs venison
3 lbs pork butts
1 tsp ground white pepper
3 Tbs ground mustard
1 Tbs ground celery
1 tsp ground nutmeg
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp garlic powder
4.5 Tbs powdered dextrose
2 cups soy protein concentrate (or Substitute with Non Fat Dry Milk)
2 cups ice water
2 tsp Instacure #1 (DQ Curing salt #1, Prague Powder #1, pink salt)
4 Tbs salt

Grind meat through 3/16' grinder plate. Mix ingredients and distribute evenly, add water as you go. Bologna is usually stuffed into 8" diameter casings but 3.5", 5" or any size that is handy will work too. Hang at room temperature until casings are dry. Place in preheated smoker at 165 degrees. until internal temp reaches 150 degrees. Remove and cool in a water bath until internal temp is brought down to around 90 degrees. This type of bologna is usually not smoked. If you like a more store bought look, be sure to emulsify the meat while grinding.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

SIA

10.5 Has a great recipe here. I have used it 3 times now.

nepas

smokeitall

Thanks Chris I will give it a try.  I usually like a smoked summer sausage but I will try it and see how it is.
SIA

Tenpoint5

Quote from: smokeitall on December 06, 2009, 02:58:34 PM
Thanks Chris I will give it a try.  I usually like a smoked summer sausage but I will try it and see how it is.
SIA
You could always hit it with an hour of smoke. Then tell us how it turned out. I plan on trying it on my next batch. If you don't.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

wyogoob

Freezer-Burnt Summer Sausage

20 lbs – wild game
10 lbs – beef scraps (about 33% fat)
24 tbsp – Morton's Tenderquick cure
15 tsp – sugar
5 tbsp – cracked pepper
5 tbsp – mustard seed
3 tbsp – garlic powder
3 tbsp – coriander
2 tbsp – caraway seed
2 tbsp - paprika
1 tbsp – cayenne
1 tbsp – marjoram
1 tbsp – onion powder
2 cups – non-fat dry milk
1 quart – ice water

Meat should be cut into 1" pieces or ran thru a grinder with a kidney plate.
Keep meat frosty.
Mix all ingredients with meat.
Grind thru a 3/16" or ¼" plate.
Stuff into casings.
Store in 40° fridge for 48 hrs.
Smoke or cook in oven until internal temp is 152°.

Notes:
A five-star recipe, everyone seems to like this one. Good when cleaning out the freezer before the new hunting season.
Add 3 tbsp of liquid smoke if cooking in the oven instead of a smoker.
Life's been good to me so far.

Mr Walleye

Wyogoob

Great lookin' recipe and thanks for sharing. I just wanted to point out the Morton TQ amounts are incorrect. For sausage the correct amount of TQ is 1.5 tsp per lb. The 1 Tbs amount is used for a dry cure such as Canadian Bacon.

Here are a few recipes from Morton's site that indicate 1.5 tsp per lb for sausage.

http://www.mortonsalt.com/recipes/RecipeDetail.aspx?RID=115

http://www.mortonsalt.com/recipes/RecipeDetail.aspx?RID=45

http://www.mortonsalt.com/recipes/RecipeDetail.aspx?RID=46

Here is Morton's recipe for Canadian Bacon that indicates 1 Tbs per lb for a dry cure.

http://www.mortonsalt.com/recipes/RecipeDetail.aspx?RID=117

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

smokeitall

That looks like another great recipe, thanks for posting. 
SIA

mikeradio

Hey Scott

I just ordered some sausage seasonings from SausageMaker

http://www.sausagemaker.com/seasonings-1.aspx

I made the Roasted Garlic and it turned out great.  These are not kits but just the seasonings.

That's great news about the price protect on the 80L, dont worry about the $10, you spent more on fuel.

Mike

smokeitall

I haven't tried anything from sausage maker yet, I will have to give them a try soon.
Thanks Mike talk to you soon.

wyogoob

Thanks, my recipe card had 1 pound of TQ for 30 lbs of sausage. I messed up on the math changing pounds to tbsp. I'm using 2 tsp per pound. So it would be 24 tbsp for 30 pounds. The Morton website says 15 tbsp per 30 lbs.

I picked up on meat curing and sausage making from my dad and grandpa who use a "handful" of this and a "handful" of that, so bear with me.

This old Morton Salt Meat Curing book, circa 1969 or so, called for 2 lb of cure to 60 lbs of meat for Summer Sausage. A 2 lb bag of TQ is 48 level tbsp, I measured it. 48 tbsp divided by 60 lbs of meat is .8 tbsp per pound of meat. I use .66 tbsp per lb..........The website says .5.....Should I get more life insurance?

That's interesting. Note that in the 1960s Kool cigarettes were advertised as being good for you health. We used salt peter for everything! I'm sure that Morton has lowered their level of cure per pound in their recipes since science has proved it can be harmful.

Thanks, good catch, I'll change the recipe.  

Habanero Smoker

Not too long ago I saw the old Morton Cure guide, and back then they did suggest 1 tablespoon per pound. I'm glad Morton has adjusted their formula, not only for the amount of nitrates and nitrites, but also for the amount of salt.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

wyogoob

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on December 09, 2009, 02:58:22 AM
Not too long ago I saw the old Morton Cure guide, and back then they did suggest 1 tablespoon per pound. I'm glad Morton has adjusted their formula, not only for the amount of nitrates and nitrites, but also for the amount of salt.

Yes, I've seen that too. And another recipe calls for 1 lb per 30 lbs of meat (2 lbs in 60 lbs of meat).

Looking at the website recipes, Morton has cut back on the TQ and then added salt to make up the difference.

The end products didn't taste overly salty but it's obvious they're not good for you. I'm going to cut back on the TQ on all my recipes.

Thanks again Mr Walleye

wyogoob

I see on the Morton Salt website they use 160° for the IT. I have always used 152° and never had a problem.

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)