Previous topic - Next topic

oakville smoker

Here we go boys and girls, getting ready to see if we can make some snack stix
I bought a kit with the seasoning and cure, CHECK
I got collagen casings with the kit, CHECK
ordered some butcher string and now have it   CHECK

Meat.....   ummmm ......  NO check

I intend on making these from beef

For snack stix that are going to be smoked, could I use store bought ground beef and not have to worry about using them
up right away?
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: oakville smoker on December 10, 2009, 06:00:39 AM
Here we go boys and girls, getting ready to see if we can make some snack stix
I bought a kit with the seasoning and cure, CHECK
I got collagen casings with the kit, CHECK
ordered some butcher string and now have it   CHECK

Meat.....   ummmm ......  NO check

I intend on making these from beef

For snack stix that are going to be smoked, could I use store bought ground beef and not have to worry about using them
up right away?

Yes you can.

Try to use 80/20 or 85/15 and mix per instructions real good by hand. Try not to exceed 180* or you will fat the stix out.

nepas

Tenpoint5

Looking forward to seeing some pics
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

oakville smoker

Nepas

If I buy pre ground beef only because its so much less expensive than buying anything whole right now, how would I know the fat
content?  I don't think the packages at Costco say what the meat to fat content is. I know the only way to truly control it is to buy your own and grind but at current prices it just does not make sense.
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

oakville smoker

Ten five
I, Oakville smoker do solemly swear, that I shall post pics worthy of this forum upon completion of said task.
I have a feeling these might qualify for funny of the day or maybe a feature segment on Satirday Night Live.  LOL
Nonetheless, I do promise to post pics

NePaSmoKer

Where i live ground chuck is like 85/15 to 90/10. Reg GB is 80/20 and the cheap stuff is like 73/27.

Oldman

We have one place here selling 70/30~~!

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!!