crab boil without the crabs

Started by squirtthecat, December 09, 2009, 11:42:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

I occasionally make my Cilantro Potato Salad using the boiling bags for the red potatoes.

Adds some zest to it.

KyNola

I have a real easy crab, crawfish tail and corn chowder that I throw together that calls for liquid crab boil in it.  YUM.

KyNola

Quarlow

Quote from: KyNola on December 10, 2009, 10:24:46 AM
I have a real easy crab, crawfish tail and corn chowder that I throw together that calls for liquid crab boil in it.  YUM.

KyNola
Oh that sounds damn good and so does that cilantro Potato salad of CRG's
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Pachanga

KyNola,

QuoteHere's what I'm thinking about.  Using your technique, peel some shrimp and put them in the cold crab boil solution for a while.  Take them out, pat them dry, allow to form a pellicle and then smoke those babies.

Nice idea.  You've got that brain cranking.  The best of both worlds.  Let us know the results if you beat me to it.  I peeled over 70 pounds of wild gulf shrimp this year and vacuum packed them.  Saved the shells for gumbo stock.

Good luck and shrimp it up,

Pachanga

squirtthecat

How 'bout something completely off the wall...

Pintos cooked with the crab boil bag?  (turbo cooked, of course!)

I'll look first to make sure there isn't any salt in the crab boil..

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Pachanga on December 10, 2009, 10:46:45 AM
KyNola,

QuoteHere's what I'm thinking about.  Using your technique, peel some shrimp and put them in the cold crab boil solution for a while.  Take them out, pat them dry, allow to form a pellicle and then smoke those babies.

Nice idea.  You've got that brain cranking.  The best of both worlds.  Let us know the results if you beat me to it.  I peeled over 70 pounds of wild gulf shrimp this year and vacuum packed them.  Saved the shells for gumbo stock.

Good luck and shrimp it up,

Pachanga

Now that could be "Out of the Park".

Excellent thread and some great post!

KyNola

Sorry STC, feel like I hijacked your thread.

Don't know why you couldn't cook those beans in the crab boil.  Be advised you may really jack them up with seasoning.  That bag of stuff is pretty potent.

KyNola

squirtthecat

Quote from: KyNola on December 10, 2009, 01:54:50 PM
Sorry STC, feel like I hijacked your thread.

Don't know why you couldn't cook those beans in the crab boil.  Be advised you may really jack them up with seasoning.  That bag of stuff is pretty potent.

KyNola

No hijacking at all!    These are all great ideas..  Crab boil brined smoked shrimp!

I might try the Pinto beans tonight while the Mrs is having their Christmas program at her school. (in case I need to fumigate the house before she gets home  :D)

I can stir in some of that chuck I smoked last weekend..   

We'll see how it goes. (or if I have to unplug it and put it out on the deck)

KyNola

I've given some more thought to the crab boiled pinto beans.  I assume you're going to do them with your pressure cooker.  I'm wondering if doing them under pressure may force a LOT of spice in those beans.  If you do it tonight, I'll be anxious to hear your results on it.

Can't believe you found it on a CLEARANCE rack.  The grocery where I buy my liquid boil also has a clearance rack.  I walked by in once and there were probably 10 bottles of my beloved liquid boil on the rack at a ridiculous low price so they all went home with me and I was mad because I thought they were no longer going to carry it.  Apparently they caught so much flak over not carrying it anymore that they now stock twice as much as they used to. :D

KyNola

squirtthecat

Definitely doing it 'under pressure'...   Gotta run the carpet cleaner first.  One of the critters thinks our bathroom should be her bathroom as well.   >:(

I don't know how 'clearance' it was, it was 2 bucks for the box.    But it seemed out of place in this podunk IGA in a tiny redneck town in the middle of nowhere...     They don't even sell seafood in this place, unless Mrs Paul's fish sticks count.

Maybe they use it in Burgoo??  :D

Will report back later.  Unless I mace myself with cayenne laden steam..

FLBentRider

Unless I am mistaken, that crab boil is high in salt.

I am not a bean person, but I seem to recall NePas stating that salt will make the beans tough.

Maybe add it at the end ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

squirtthecat

Quote from: FLBentRider on December 10, 2009, 05:06:21 PM
Unless I am mistaken, that crab boil is high in salt.

I am not a bean person, but I seem to recall NePas stating that salt will make the beans tough.

Maybe add it at the end ?

Not in this kind.  Yeah, I learned about the salt thing the hard way.  ;)   

Let me find the ingredients.

squirtthecat

Ingredients:
MUSTARD SEED, CORIANDER SEED, CAYENNE PEPPER, BAY LEAVES, DILL SEED, ALLSPICE.

squirtthecat

Now, these ones:

Ingredients:
SALT, DEXTROSE, CAYENNE PEPPER, NATURAL FLAVORS WITH OLEORESIN PAPRIKA, TOCOPHEROLS, ASCORBIC ACID, CITRIC ACID, MONOSODIUM GLUTAMATE, LEMON JUICE (MALTODEXTRIN, LEMON, CITRIC ACID, SUGAR), SPICES, BLACK PEPPER.  (etc, etc.)

hal4uk

For the shrimp, the worst thing you can do is overcook it...
And shrimp cooks fast.
(that cold soak idea sounds good)...

My shrimp is always spicy enough, because the sauce will wake you up by itself:
(JC makes it the same way)...

1 Bottle Heinz Chili Sauce
1 heaping TBLS prepared horseradish
splash of Lea & Perrins
splash of Tabasco
splash of lemon juice
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'