Corned Beef

Started by OU812, December 11, 2009, 05:13:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OU812

Smoked up a brisket flat a wile back and set the point aside to make some corned beef. After cureing for 10 days .

Rinsed and put in crock pot

Then covered with water and some pickling spices.

Let cook till almost tender then throw in some home grown taters, theres more under the water

An hr later through in some carrots

All done and the fat scraped off.

Time to eat

Made some gravy out of the juices in the pot. Mmmm Gooood.

The girls like taters and gravy, I like cabage.

squirtthecat

Looks good, OU!

I go for the carrots/taters as well..   Not a huge cabbage fan.
(and I'm named after Saint Paddy - go figure)

hal4uk

OU... He don't like bananas either, but when all these Irish Catholics put out the YELLOW flags...
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Mulla

OU, did you use a cure or just the salt method for the point?

--Mulla

Ka Honu

After years of braising, steaming, boiling, grilling, etc., etc, etc. I found one of the easiest and best ways to prepare corned beef.  You might want to give it a shot (or not); it's excellent!

Baked Corned Beef

Corned beef (any size)
     Coarse ground pepper
     6 onions, sliced about 1/4 or 3/8 inch thick
     1 large sheet heavy duty foil

Place corned beef on foil. Cover with coarse pepper. Put onion slices all over it, using toothpicks where necessary to hold them. Secure foil across top, then sides, leaving air space inside, but so no liquid can leak out. Place in pan at least 2" deep. Bake in 350 degree oven for 3 hours (no matter what size). Boil or steam your choice of cabbage, carrots and potatoes in juices drained from pan (plus some additional liquid as necessary).

Optional: While veggies are cooking, glaze beef with 1 cup brown sugar and 1/4 cup mustard.  Bake uncovered 15 minutes at 350o.

I'll probably make gravy like OU did next time - sounds like a good enhancement.

OU812

Quote from: Mulla on December 19, 2009, 11:13:42 AM
OU, did you use a cure or just the salt method for the point?

--Mulla

Mulla

I used a brine for this one and it was just salt and spices.

ArnieM

OU - Glad it came out good; sure looks good.  The problem with curing the brisket yourself is planning ahead.  I'm not good at that.  :(

KH - I did an experiment a couple of years ago.  I got two corned beef flats similar in shape and weight.  One went into a pot for simmering along with veggies.  I did the other in the oven similar to your recipe, including the glaze toward the end.  I didn't think of using the onions.  They both came out good.  The one from the oven was a little drier.

It's fun to experiment on friends and family.  ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Ka Honu

Quote from: ArnieM on December 21, 2009, 08:50:03 AM... The one from the oven was a little drier...

Haven't had that problem (but you do have to make sure the foil doesn't have a leak or tear somewhere allowing the steam to escape.

squirtthecat

Along these same lines, I did one a year or so ago in the pressure cooker...    Turned out juicy and tender.

I put it on a bed of onions to lift it up a bit away from the heating element.

ArnieM

Quote from: squirtthecat on December 21, 2009, 10:13:36 AM

Along these same lines, I did one a year or so ago in the pressure cooker...    Turned out juicy and tender.

I put it on a bed of onions to lift it up a bit away from the heating element.

Just goes to show "There's more than one way to skin a cat."   ;D ;D ;D  (Sorry squirt.  ;D)
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

squirtthecat

... or vulcanize a cow.  :D

Ka Honu

Quote from: ArnieM on December 21, 2009, 10:40:38 AMJust goes to show "There's more than one way to skin a cat." 

Watch out for those skinned cats, especially when dealing with "untrusted" chefs - they (the cats, not the chefs) can look just like rabbits.

KevinG

Now what did I do to lose your trust?
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG