Crab Boil(ed) Pintos (an expirement) = FAIL

Started by squirtthecat, December 10, 2009, 05:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

I'm sorry it didn't work out well for you.  I was worried about putting that stuff under pressure and blasting those beans with more flavor than they could handle and still be palatable.

Now you know why the Hurst 15 bean seasoning pack is the size that it is! ;) :D

BTW, if you think that stuff is potent, wait until you try some Zatarain's liquid crab boil! :o :o :o       :D

KyNola

hal4uk

"Ya think ya used enough dynamite there, Butch?"
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

squirtthecat

Quote from: hal4uk on December 10, 2009, 07:44:04 PM
"Ya think ya used enough dynamite there, Butch?"

Yep... We've been there, done that before..

(the next scene was that pan being shoved into an empty cat litter bucket and sealed tight)

KyNola, when I find the liquid stuff, I will try this again...  In minute amounts.

KyNola

Pat,
Uh, I wouldn't try it under pressure were I you.

Hal would you PUHLEAZE help your brother out here?  He's seriously going to hurt himself. :o ;D

Larry

hal4uk

Well, I was in on the diablo disaster, but this nasty bean mess is all his.  If he had called me first...
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Quarlow

Quote from: squirtthecat on December 10, 2009, 06:47:34 PM
Quote from: hal4uk on December 10, 2009, 06:44:30 PM
Maybe you just didn't add enough El Yucateo sauce?

Dunno, but this was one of those moments.

You know the kind..

You know you just had beans that weren't agreeable and then you post this pic with no explanation. This don't look too good.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

classicrockgriller

hal4uk

One day me & STC did some chicken wing experiments (grilling - not smoking)...
We figured that GREAT southern fried chicken is always soaked first in buttermilk, why not try the BM soak and then grill?

We mixed up a lot of different "seasoned BM" soaks.
We had charts/spreadsheets/numbered containers etc...

One of our finished products was dipped in that orange stuff (that we quickly named "Diablo")...
That batch was insanely hot.

Something we called "#3" was the best - and it was very good...

After the experiments, we were full, but we went to something in his neck of the woods called "Irish" days and had some fried walleye (just for sport eating).
Fun Day.  But.. Diablo.. Very evil.
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

squirtthecat

Thanks for clearing that up for Quarlow, Hal..

KyNola, no worries.  I promise I won't mace myself w/ the liquid boil.

This had the potential of being very good, but will need some major tweaking to get it right.

NePaSmoKer

squirt

Next time only add black pepper and garlic to the beans, add the other salty stuff at the last 5 mins of cooking.

They do look good tho, when they split thats when they get good and thick  ;D

nepas

squirtthecat

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on December 11, 2009, 06:01:08 AM
squirt

Next time only add black pepper and garlic to the beans, add the other salty stuff at the last 5 mins of cooking.

They do look good tho, when they split thats when they get good and thick  ;D

nepas

Thanks Nepas!  I think I've got the timing down for them, now I just need to back off on the [cough] "flavor".
I'll try another bag tonight. (with just onions/garlic/blk pepper)

Cooking in the chicken stock added some weirdness as well.  I won't do that again.  I thought I had some low sodium beef broth, but it went into a soup I made on Wednesday.

Pachanga

Squirt,

Don't give up on the chicken stock.  Homemade stock (turkey or chicken) can make some wonderful beans.  I try to stay away form store bought because of the salt content and toughening the beans.  Like NepaSamoker, salt is a last second addition.   

I usually slow cook my beans but pressure cook when in a hurry.  They are different but still great.  The second day is even better.  That is when they get good and thick like NepaSmoker says.  A little longer in the pressure cooker and they are already on their second day.  I still use the old style pressure cooker with the weight on top.  It reminds of Grandma's house when it is rattling. 

Good luck and there she blows,

Pachanga

KyNola

You could always fill your pot with water and put 3-4 smoked ham hocks in there and cook them until they are fall apart tender.  Remove the hocks, take all the meat off and set aside.  Begin to cook your beans and in the last 10-15 mionutes of cooking, put the hock meat back in the pot.  The ham hock stock may have a fair amount of salt in it from the hocks so you will want to check that.  Throw some onion in there for good measure along with a little black pepper.

My friend, that is flat good eats.  Cornbread on the side.

KyNola

squirtthecat

Yum!   Thanks guys!

I will conquer the Pinto..

KevinG

Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG