smoked sea salt questions...

Started by sage03, December 12, 2009, 07:53:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sage03

Let's see..3 bisquettes per hr x 20 hrs....I'll bet it turned out fabulous!!! How much salt did you end up doing,and at what temp? 8)

Quarlow

20 hrs at $1.25 per hour + $25. I hope you did alot of salt cause that is the most expensive salt in the world.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

sage03

No kidding!!Not to mention the amount and cost of frosty beverages that may have been consumed during that time !!!!;D ;D

Quarlow

Hey a mans got to have a hobby. ;D ;D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

Bavind

The salt was amazing. I gave most of it away for Christmas so will have to do some more soon.  I cold smoked it. The only problem I ran into was the moisture tended to condense around the top vent then dropped to the salt. Next time I will but a bowl there to catch the "liquid smoke"

Quarlow

That is good Bavind glad it worked out for you. Hey I see you are from saskabush, where abouts. I used to truck throuhg to Steinbach Man. back in 2000 and you know I had all these preconceived notions about the praires that they were just flat and ugly, but I never found that at all. I actually like Sask. especially The Quappelle valley and up around N. Battleford. Very nice country.

OBS
BBQ

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Bavind on January 16, 2010, 10:34:26 AM
The salt was amazing. I gave most of it away for Christmas so will have to do some more soon.  I cold smoked it. The only problem I ran into was the moisture tended to condense around the top vent then dropped to the salt. Next time I will but a bowl there to catch the "liquid smoke"

I have the same problem in the winter. If I have the the rack space, I spread a couple of layers of cheese cloth in the center of the rack and place that on the top shelf. You don't have to cover the whole rack, I just cut the cloth to 6 inch lengths, but wide enough to cover the width of the rack. The cheese cloth will catch any condensation that falls, holds it until it can evaporate; so the cloth never gets saturated.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Quarlow

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on January 17, 2010, 02:30:46 AM
Quote from: Bavind on January 16, 2010, 10:34:26 AM

I have the same problem in the winter. If I have the the rack space, I spread a couple of layers of cheese cloth in the center of the rack and place that on the top shelf. You don't have to cover the whole rack, I just cut the cloth to 6 inch lengths, but wide enough to cover the width of the rack. The cheese cloth will catch any condensation that falls, holds it until it can evaporate; so the cloth never gets saturated.
Now thats a good tip. thanks Hab's

OBS
BBQ

Bavind

I am living in Calgary now. I am very new to the smoker and this site has given me a lot of things to try this spring. LOL :)

sage03

Great job on the salt  Bavind...I agree with Hab Smoker I smoked more salt the othere day and ended up with moisture in the OBS .put not strips but a small piece on top rack...so the cheese cloth works ...Thanks Habs ;D