Made My Swedish Potato Sausage Last Night

Started by anderson5420, December 14, 2009, 06:42:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

anderson5420

Made my annual batch of Swedish Potato Sausage last night. A hybrid of old family recipe and the recipe from Kutas.

3 lb pork shoulder
3 lb chuck
3 lb potatoes (peeled)
1 onion
2 TBSP coarse salt
2 tsp white pepper
2 tsp allspice
1 cup water

I chunked the meat, potatoes and onion, and then ground it all together through a 1/4" plate (Maverick MM5501 grinder, just awesome).  Then I added the spices and water and mixed. Next I re-ground it all through the 1/4" plate.  Finally I stuffed into 38 mm fresh sausage collagen casings.  I might go back to hog casings next time, the collagen casings burst toward the end of 20 minutes of steaming the sausages we were having for dinner, but the sausages stayed intact anyway. Great flavor and texture, much better than any prior batch!   Now have a great supply in the freezer for our Christmas Eve family get-together.  

I might just have to start making these year round!
So many recipes, so little time!

3rensho

Hi Anderson,  that recipe is pretty close to mine.  I've gotta get off my back side and make my annual Christmas batch soon.  Do you go the Lutefisk route too?

Tom
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

seemore

I think we might have to try these.  Thanks for the recipe!
Mrs

anderson5420

No lutefisk here!  If we actually wanted some (which as far as I know we never have and are not likely in the future), I suppose we would go to Ballard or better yet Paulsbo to buy some!

Quote from: 3rensho on December 14, 2009, 10:54:44 PM
Hi Anderson,  that recipe is pretty close to mine.  I've gotta get off my back side and make my annual Christmas batch soon.  Do you go the Lutefisk route too?

Tom
So many recipes, so little time!