• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Newbie questions

Started by GusRobin, December 14, 2009, 10:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GusRobin

Getting an OBS for Christmas and had some questitons:

1) If I load the generator with 9 pucks and 3 bubba pucks, smoke for 3 hours on a 10 hour cook will the generator automatically shut off when the pucks are done? or do I need to do it manually?

2)Do I heat up the tower and then turn on the smoke generator and then advance the pucks? or what is the sequence?
thanks
ray
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

GusRobin

One additional questition:
Ii have ordered the cold smoker box. Can I leave it hooked up even when I am doing a regular smoke or do I need to unhook it and connect the generator directly to the box?
Thanks
again
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

classicrockgriller

Gus, after I have warm up my bradley and am ready to start, I load up my pucks (as in your case 9) turn on the smoke gen, advance puck one more time, then set the time for 3hrs and 20 minutes. That gives you 20 to heat up the iron and then it will advance and start smoking after a 20 warm up.

classicrockgriller

As far as the cold smoke adaptor, you may be able to leave attached, but I would take it off and use the way it was designed.

The cold smoke adaptor slide on and off like your smoke gen. It takes just a minute or two to attach and remove.

GusRobin

Quote from: classicrockgriller on December 14, 2009, 11:05:16 PM
Gus, after I have warm up my bradley and am ready to start, I load up my pucks (as in your case 9) turn on the smoke gen, advance puck one more time, then set the time for 3hrs and 20 minutes. That gives you 20 to heat up the iron and then it will advance and start smoking after a 20 warm up.

I am gettitng the OBS, does that have a timer on the generator?

classicrockgriller

Gus, I have the DBS and I am not sure about the OBS, but someone will be by to answer that soon.

But with the bubba pucks that will advance off the last spent puck and you will not have to be standing there to turn off your smoke gen
and it will not hurt to allow it to continue to run.

Some people leave it on for added heat.

Habanero Smoker

Hi Gus;

The generator will not automatically shut down after the all the bisquettes have cycled through. You must manually turn it off, or leave it running if you need the extra heat to maintain cabinet temperature.

When I preheat my OBS I do not load the bisquettes until after I place the food in the smoker. The reason for this is when you preheat the cabinet you also need to turn on the generator at the same time to preheat that also. If you don't preheat the generator your first and maybe your second bisquette will not burn completely. After loading the bisquettes, push the advance button three times to move the first bisquette to the heating pad. When you push the advance button, wait until it fully cycles, before pushing the button again.

The only time I preheat the cabinet without turning on the generator, is when I'm smoking in cold weather. I store my smoker outside, and on cold day I want the cabinet to warm the generator before I turn that on. Then I add additional time for the generator to heat up.

If your set up can be protected from the weather, you can leave the cold smoke adapter attached.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Hopefull Romantic

Habs

I want to thank you for the great info in your reply post

Hady
I am not as "think" as you "drunk" I am.

GusRobin

Thanks everyone for the input.