• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

pid on a bds 6 rack?

Started by trapperbruce, December 19, 2009, 08:24:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trapperbruce

hi  and merry Christmas to all

a few days ago  i was smoking /cooking a ham .anyways at the end it called for 220*f ..i had 2 dig temp probes  and temp on the smoke generator said it was 230*f in there ..mine both only read 180*

i readjusted my probes to within  2 Cm of smoker thermometer and still got about 30* diff..i went to the appliance  dealer and borrowed their digital temp prob for testing ovens and set it in place too..it read the same temp as my probes  ...2* diff

it was cold and windy at the time but ambient temp shouldn't made a diff  to probes right?  anyways what I'm wondering is can i take and get a new cord for the heating element of  the smoker  and plug it into a pid and use  the smoker that way?

PS  after i was all done i took and tested all the probes in boiling water  and they were with in 4*f of each other
                                                                              <')))><   bruce
<'))))><  bruce

Aether

"COLD and WINDY".  Most on here have suggested keeping the BDS out of the wind in order to help temp recovery and to maintain temps.  The digitals are also known to swing plus or minus 20 degrees.  Precise temperature control is not an issue with traditional hot smoking.  VERY important with cold smoking and sausage making.

I think that a pertinent question is, "Will a PID drive the temperature to desired levels in cold and windy conditions any better than the Bradley digital controller?"

I would try to shield the BDS from the elements and see what temps you can obtain.  IF exact temp control is an issue, here is a link for a PnP solution: http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=72&zenid=e9cfd63c5971ecc226037de93e5b05f1

I will probably buy one as I do not want to have to deal with the 9:40 limit on the Bradley.

pensrock

Quotecan i take and get a new cord for the heating element of  the smoker  and plug it into a pid and use  the smoker that way?
I guess I do not quite understand the question. The heating element should already be connected to the PID. The PID and smoke generator should both be plugged into the power outlet from the house. Once connected you do not set the Bradley for temperature anymore, the PID will run the temperature. All the Bradley does is control the smoke.

trapperbruce

ok sorry ..yes the element is hooked up to the dig controller  and i can hear the controller shut the element off at 230*f  and i have temp set at 220 ..and i know that is the right way ..it goes to 230* then down to about 213 before it comes back on again ...kind of makes average of 220*

but my problem is that when my  controller temp says its 230* and shuts off, its only 180-190 in there(all 3 temp probes were with in 1 inch of smoker thermometer) i think  if wind made a diff then it would stay on longer and actually make it hotter than colder...I'm guessing my temp sencer is way out of whack?

am i making any sence to this now..lol
<'))))><  bruce

MPTubbs

Quote from: trapperbruce on December 19, 2009, 11:24:56 AM

ok sorry ..yes the element is hooked up to the dig controller  and i can hear the controller shut the element off at 230*f  and i have temp set at 220 ..and i know that is the right way ..it goes to 230* then down to about 213 before it comes back on again ...kind of makes average of 220*

but my problem is that when my  controller temp says its 230* and shuts off, its only 180-190 in there(all 3 temp probes were with in 1 inch of smoker thermometer) i think  if wind made a diff then it would stay on longer and actually make it hotter than colder...I'm guessing my temp sencer is way out of whack?

am i making any sence to this now..lol

My 6 rack diggi does the same thing. If I want the heat to be higher I set the controller to a higher temp so the internal temp will go higher.

I also use a Maverick ET-73 dual probe to monitor my temps and don't rely so much on what the controller says.

From what I read and understand from this forum is that a PID will keep the temp swings closer together and you don't use the half of the controller that controls the temp anymore. Also you can keep the "oven" on as long as you like with a PID.....the factory controller has to be turned back on after 9 hours and 40 min.
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

pensrock

So if I read this right, you do not have a separate PID temperature controller and are using the Bradley to control the temperature and smoke generator. The way you described the operation sounds about right, about a 20-25 degree temp swing during operation. Now the question is where were you measuring the temperatures in comparison to the Bradley temp sensor and where was the meat in reference to the Bradley sensor? Where was the vent set? To get a true temp reading compared to the Bradley you need to have the sensors all placed very close to each other. You will see a temp difference from front to back of the smoker as well as top to bottom. Also if your test sensors are closer to the meat than the Bradley sensor you will see a difference. If the Bradley was reading 230 and the other probes only read 190 assuming all were right next to each other, than I would give Bradley service a call, maybe you do have a bad thermistor but its unlikely.

Gamefish

Quote from: pensrock on December 19, 2009, 12:59:27 PM
So if I read this right, you do not have a separate PID temperature controller and are using the Bradley to control the temperature and smoke generator. The way you described the operation sounds about right, about a 20-25 degree temp swing during operation. Now the question is where were you measuring the temperatures in comparison to the Bradley temp sensor and where was the meat in reference to the Bradley sensor? Where was the vent set? To get a true temp reading compared to the Bradley you need to have the sensors all placed very close to each other. You will see a temp difference from front to back of the smoker as well as top to bottom. Also if your test sensors are closer to the meat than the Bradley sensor you will see a difference. If the Bradley was reading 230 and the other probes only read 190 assuming all were right next to each other, than I would give Bradley service a call, maybe you do have a bad thermistor but its unlikely.

I am of the opinion and correct me if I am wrong, but when using a meat probe in meat what difference does it make as long as the meat comes up to temp, I have read alot regarding PID's etc but to be honest down here in New Zealand we just turn it on and wait for it to be cooked, in winter regardless you always have to run the units slightly hotter to compensate for the cold air, but in summer we leave it normal

pensbrook you are right in saying the heat is different in certain parts of the smoker but this is normal and understand the bradley is thin stainless on the inside which reflects heat, a meat probe is a lot thicker and will take longer to heat up in a chamber environment rather than forced heat, I am sure if you left the probe in long enough it eventually would have come up to temp and if it doesn't what does it matter as long as you get the results, maybe we are just a lot simpler down here but have never had an issue with getting perfect results ;)

trapperbruce

thanks for all the replies

guess  I'm just not good at gettin my question  across..and yes gamefish  all that is important is finall  internal temp with cookin meat  but I'm looking at doing mostly sausage and temp is more critical.I'm just finding that its the same guessing game i had using my fridge smoker
         <')))><   bruce

that  kind of sounded like i didn't get my question answered..  but i think penrock purty much answered it on his first post saying pid  would be separate from the smoke controller 
<'))))><  bruce

pensrock

Yea, I guess I really do not quite understand your question. If you want to do sausage than I would suggest getting a stand alone temperature controller, They like to call them PID's on here. The Bradley digital will only control much like your home oven, on/off control about a +- 25F temp swing. A properly tuned temperature controller will get you +-2F. The Bradley will get closer as the temperature of the product rises and gets closer to setpoint. For doing pork butts, brisket, ABT's and so on this is fine and it works great. Sausage and fishes need a little more attention so parts are not over cooked while other parts are under cooked. I do not own one but many others love the Auber unit made for the Bradley, I think they run about $150.00. I built my own using an older industrial temperature controller and it works great.