Tacos

Started by dick621, December 20, 2009, 09:26:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dick621

What spices or season packs do you use for hamburger  for tacos?
Dick in Emmett, Idaho

ArnieM

Hi Dick,

First, season packs.  Yuk.

I can't give you a recipe.  I'm a "dumper" of spices until I like it.  In general, for about 1.25 pounds of ground beef to start with.

Brown in a hot pan with a little oil; Canola or vegetable.  Cook off the water.  Drain in a colander and let the pan cool some.

The following is all to "your taste".

Add finely diced onion and garlic to the pan with just a bit of oil.  Sweat it (low heat) for 30 minutes or so.  Don't brown it.  Add the beef to the pan.  It should be smelling pretty good right about now.

This isn't chili so I'd go with one dump - spices up front.  Add liquid.  Beef broth, tomato sauce or a combo would do.  It should look soupy.

Spices - Chili powder, Cumin powder (I love the stuff), S&P.  Add Chipotle powder or Cayenne for heat to your taste.  A little fresh chopped Cilantro wouldn't hurt either if you like it.

Simmer (not boiling), covered for at least an hour.  If it looks too loose, crank up the heat a bit and crack the cover to reduce it for 15 minutes or so.  If it's still too loose, stir in some masa harina (corn flour). 

As you can tell, this is more trouble than a 'packet' but the results are well worth it.  Keep a log of what you did for the next time and adjust as appropriate.

Happy tacos  ;D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

classicrockgriller

Arnie that sounds like a Taco Deluxe.

deb415611

This is as close to a mix as I cook with - Penzeys Bold Taco seasoning.  My son likes it.  I like the flavor but it's a little salty for me.      http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeysboldtaco.html   

ronbeaux

Tacos! My favorite word.

I'm a dumper too but here is close to my last dump.

Cook the meat and then drain it well.
I use the palm of my hand for the following(about a teaspoon +-):
ground cumin
ground ancho or guajillo chili(you can leave this out but it gives it a distinct 'earthy' flavor)
ground garlic
ground onion
dark chili powder
sea salt
black pepper
cayenne pepper(to taste)

stir it all in while continuing to cook.
add 1/2 cup of Rotel tomato and cook until the moisture is gone.
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

NePaSmoKer

Did someone say TACOS  ;D

These got mesquite smoke

nepas

ronbeaux

Nice tacos! Just goes to show you almost anything can be made into tacos. For instance. Tonight was ratatouille with smoked cheddar cheese and skirt steak fajita meat.

Hey. Why not??

The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.