Summer Sausage Suggestions

Started by josbocc, December 13, 2009, 05:02:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

josbocc

Hey Everybody,

Smoking 25# of Summer Sausage today for Christmas gifts (after the 2 whole chickens are done).  Anyone have a suggestion, or prior experience with what flavor of wood pucks to use?  Your suggestions are appreciated!!!

Thanks,
Jeff
The Wood Doesn't talk back
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

KevinG

Quarlow did a nice write up on the potency of the Briquettes here. I've never done summer sausage myself, but have tried it three different ways, hickory, oak, and mesquite. Liked all three.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=12945.0
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

josbocc

Thanks Kevin.  I've pretty much got the different woods down as far as potency, but I've only done summer sausage once before, and I'll be dipped if I can remember which pucks I used. 

I'm hoping someone has a favorite that goes over well for all different types of folks.  If not, guess I'll stick to the lower end of the potency scale, so as to not "offend" anyone.

Thanks for the assistance,

Jeff
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

squirtthecat

I don't know how much smoke soaks into those things, but I've found that an Apple/Pecan mix goes good with poultry, as it really 'sponges' up the smoke..

Let us know how it turns out, that's quite a load!

Tenpoint5

HICKORY is the flavor for me and I believe is most common for commercial products. but don't quote me on that one. I would still use hickory though.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

josbocc

While I share your enthusiasm for Hickory, and Mesquite (don't tell WTS), I'm giving almost all of the 9 sausages away for X-Mas gifts.  (plus I have three full boxes of Alder and only 1 1/2 of Hickory). 

I'm going with the Alder so as to keep then palatable for all, but I think I'll extend the overall smoke time a touch.

Thanks for the Input everyone, and Happy Holidays,

Jeff
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

NePaSmoKer

Most bags will absorb smoke to an extent. The meat will only take 1/8 to 3/16" of smoke thats why mix may contain smoke flavor or you can add liquid smoke.

josbocc

The nine bags are basking in their ice bath right now.  I'll let you know how they turned out.  Thanks for all the input.

Jeff
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

josbocc

Sorry..., no pics.  Momma has my digital, and my cell doesn't have a camera.  I can proudly say that the 25# of alder smoked summer sausage was a huge success, so much so that I just put another 25# in the DBS6 at 7AM this morning.  GOOD STUFF!!!

Jeff
DBS6
Cabelas 80l Dehydator
All the Jerky Gadgets!!!