Shag Bark hickory

Started by outdoorsfellar, December 24, 2009, 07:50:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

outdoorsfellar

I have quite a few of these trees out behind the house,& I wonder at times on the potentual use of this type of hickory for my outside smoker's firebox. I've always just used charcoal before,but with my new found interest in smoking,I'd like to try this perhaps.Anyone else use this wood ?

classicrockgriller

Habs has a post in the FAQ on how to smoke in your Bradley using an outside wood source.

It takes a cold smoke adaptor or a homemade box and a hot plate and tubing to run to your Bradley.

You might have something viable in them trees.

outdoorsfellar

Thanks for the reply, but what I meant is that I have a different smoker that has a firebox attached. It's one of those duel - gas / charcoal grills from Char-griller. I was sitting at work typing away on my Blackberry when I 1st posted this question .... thinking about warmer weather outdoor fun...lol. I just don't know if there's a difference between shag bark & I guess regular hickory.

classicrockgriller

I have white oak, post oak, and some sorta Hickory and I have used pieces of them for smoking (not as the primary fire source)
and like them all.

Try it in small quantities.

Have you google it? Try that.

Tenpoint5

I have used that kind of hickory too many times to remember to smoke things. ODF It will work perfectly in your stick burner.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

outdoorsfellar