Pancetta Bacon?

Started by humanpest, December 21, 2009, 06:13:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

humanpest

So many recipes call for Bacon as a substitute for Pancetta... which as an Italian is disturbing since the flavors can be so different.

While both are delicious, and I certainly loveeee me some bacon, those in the know are aware that Bacon is cured then smoked, while pancetta is cured over a much longer period of time (usually about a month) and remains raw... although in Italy we still eat it raw occasionally if its good stuff  ;)

A few months ago, I attempted to make my own official pancetta but was scared off by the mold due to the ridiculously warm September/October we had. I used a recipe from Chowhound http://www.chow.com/recipes/10699 (My copy of Charcuterie is coming via Santa Claus)

So now that the background is done, I naturally decided to pickup a good 17 lb belly (with ribs!) and didn't really have any recipes planned. (I actually ended up doing a simple maple peppered bacon w/5 lbs, a Chinese style ribs with the ribs, 2 lbs for this pancetta bacon, and the rest I'll end up experimenting after the new year)

My plan is to use similar herbs, spices, but use the 1 week cure time for bacon and just cook at the same temperate I would Bacon ~150ish for 6 hours. I figure this would give the same flavors as pancetta, while saving me the 5 bucks per quarter pound it costs at my specialty store.

In any case, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Tenpoint5

Sounds good HP, keep us updated.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

oakville smoker

I want to make some pancetta as well
I reallly want to know how this turns out
Please, please update when you can
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

humanpest

So its looking as though I'm doing a Christmas smoke (best christmas everrrr!); but if not I'm running away to Vegas for 3 days so I'll be smoking on Monday morning, I'll definitely let you know how it goes, but I'll probably need a day or two to make a carbonara sauce to test it in :)

humanpest

Update!

I smoked after I got back from Vegas, this meant that I overshot my 7 day cure time by 3 days. Threw it in the oven at 160 and slowwwlllyyy brought it up to 150. Plasti&Aluminum wrapped and froze until my Christmas toy arrived (ChefsChoice 632 Meatslicer)

Besides the fact having a meat slicer is a godsend since I fractured my thumb earlier in the month, the Pancetta Bacon is delicious. The rosemary, thyme, bay leaf and peppercorns go great (naturally), and is pretty tasty on its own (Pancetta-Roasted Pepper-Mozzarella Panini?). Until I make a humidity controlled cure box and try long curing, this is going to be the way I make my $3/lb Pancetta :)