prime rib.....newbee

Started by HEEBEE, December 20, 2009, 10:36:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HEEBEE

Newbee to smoking and doing a prime rib for christmas and was thinking pf using the special blend for smoke??? any feedback.  Doing a 4 rib in the house and a 4 rib in the smoker (in case I screw it up we still have something to eat) Am going to use the onion soup mix method. Thank for any help.

classicrockgriller

Welcome newbee HEEBEE. The special blend would be special for you prime rib.

HEEBEE

is the special blend as strong as the hickory,as my wife is not that fond of it?

classicrockgriller

I don't think so but if you are worried about it you can cut back on the length of time you smoke it.

Ka Honu

Generally Mesquite and Hickory are the "strongest" smokes.  Special Blend is milder - more in the "medium" range.

Quarlow

Mesquite-Very strong
Hickory-strong
Oak-strong but not overpowering
Pecan-mild version of Oak
Maple-Mild
Cherry-Mild & fruity
Apple-Mild, fruity with a slight sweetness
Alder-Light with a hint of sweetness

Not sure where the special blend fits in here.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Habanero Smoker

Here is a quick summary of bisquette and other wood flavors.

Bisquettes

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ArnieM

Hi HEEBEE and welcome to the forum.

My "go to" for beef roast is oak.  Some in Texas might argue.    ;)  I haven't done a rib roast in the smoker, only top round and sirloin.  I keep the smoke time down to a couple of hours because my wife doesn't like it too smokey.

Ka Honu posted this http://www.seriouseats.com/2009/12/the-food-lab-how-to-cook-roast-a-perfect-prime-rib.html a couple days ago.  No smoking involved but I believe the cooking principle is the same.  Good reading.

I'm doing mine in the oven this year and I'm going to give the above a shot.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

squirtthecat

Ditto on the oak.   Maybe mix a few Pecan pucks in for a waft of 'Hickory Lite' ..

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

JGW

Quote from: ArnieM on December 22, 2009, 08:06:07 AM
My "go to" for beef roast is oak.  Some in Texas might argue.   

Not this Texan (who now lives in Kalifornia)...Oak is king for beef where I grew up - Esp brisket.   ;D :)

Seriously, what Oak can do for a brisket is almost illegal.  (Just feed the cops).    :)

HEEBEE

Thank you for the link it is very helpful.  I will let you know how it comes out and which prime rib they like better. Thanks to everyone.   Merry Christmas to all.... and to all a good night!!!!!