Microwave turntable motors and the B.S.

Started by manxman, March 20, 2005, 04:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

manxman

I was throwing an old microwave out and decided it was worth checking the turntable motor in the light of previous posts.

To all intent the two motors appeared identical on my B.S and the microwave, both Hengxing model number TYJ50 8A7, 240 volt, 50 Hz, 4 watt. Great thinks me, ideal to keep as a spare for the future.

Then I noticed the B.S motor was labelled 5 r/min whilst the microwave motor was labelled 4 r/min ..... r/min meaning revolutions per minute I would imagine.

Presumably the B.S moves the pucks by running this motor for a given length of time to take account of the distance required to move the pucks.

Therefore if one motor runs at 4 revs per minute and one at 5 revs per minute over the same time span the pucks are going to get more and more out of step to where they should be as time progresses if I used the old microwave motor in the event of the one on my B.S failing.

At some stage they are not even going to make the hot plate!

Either that or the company Q.C each batch of motors they produce and the value printed is a nominal value. e.g one batch does 4.4 r/min and they round that down to 4 and the next batch does 4.6 r/min and they round it up to 5 and the actual difference is negligable.

Anyone got any thoughts on the matter, which scenario is likely to be the correct one? [:D][:D]

Or is my logic at fault completely!! [:I][:)]

It would just be useful to have a spare motor available in the event it fails when the warranty has expired.[8D][8D]

Manxman.
Manxman

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

interesting did a search on part # and found this with a 5 r/v
http://www.heng-xin.com/eproducts.htm  now will have to find this part in usa

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

well the rev / min .  i am thinking it will jusy push the a bit slower, . the motor is hooked up to the plunger so the distance will be the same, i think it will work . i sent a compay a inquiry, will see if they write back, also have a friend that will get him to look up the part for us, he runs a oven part store. i think we are on the right track. thanks manxman

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

manxman

Hi Smokehouse,

I have the 240 volt model, but presumably the US version of the BS uses the 110 volt equivalent Hengxing motor so the issues may well be the same.

Thanks for your comments, still plan to keep the m'wave motor and give it a try in any case if the original fails, just have to keep an eye on puck advance.

Still have a few months warranty left yet at the moment!!! [:)]

Manxman.
Manxman

manxman

Just had a look at the Hengxing website, they do two versions of the 120 volt model TYJ50-8 at 6 r/min and 1 r/min and three versions of the 240 volt version (TYJ50-8A7)at 5 r/min, 2.5 - 3r/min and 1.6 r/min as standard.

It would be interesting to know what r/min the US version of the BS runs at, is it the same as the 240 volts version at 5 r/min although a 5 r/min 120V product does not appear under the 120 volt list. Are they Hengxing motors at all?

The different r/min's run at different output torques and it also says that the motors can be modified to the customers requirements including revolutions, maybe my microwave motor is a made to order customer specification?

So it may well be the 4 r/min and 5 r/min are different versions and they will not be interchangeable. [:(][:(]

These things are never straightforward but there is a potential to save a shedload of money! A new smokegenerator is around £170 ( $300) in the UK, the microwave was £30 ($57) new and spares are more likely to be readily available for microwaves for just a few £££'s/$$$'s.[:)][8D]

Manxman.
Manxman

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

this is whats in a us model  part # TYJ50-8 120v 60Hz 6 rpm, made by china hengxing , i took the heating plate box out to try to get some part #s nothing on it just a black box but there is a kinda like a fuse wired in, its not a normal fuse,

MallardWacker

Manx,

You be da man on this, you helped more folks than you know!

SmokeOn,

mski
Perryville, Arkansas
Wooo-Pig-Soooie

If a man says he knows anything at all, he knows nothing what he aught to know.  But...

SmokeOn,

Mike
Perryville, Arkansas

It's not how much you smoke but how many friends you make while doing it...

manxman

Hi Folks,

To users in the UK who have a B.S out of warranty and have problems with the puck advance motor (Hengxing model number TYJ50 8A7, 240 volt, 50 Hz, 4 watt.) a friend who is an electrician has sourced them in the UK at £8 wholesale each, make sure you get the 5r/min version as there are a couple of versions with the same code number.

I would have imagined the US version (TYJ50-8 120v 60Hz 6 rpm, made by china hengxing) would be equally as easy to get hold of but previous posts suggest they are not,took my mate less than 24 hours to source them on this side of the pond.

Although my B.S is still under warranty I am getting him to acquire a couple for me just in case!! At £16 I think it is well worth it!! [;)][:)]

Manxman.
Manxman

manxman

Further to my posts regarding spare motors I have now acquired a couple of spares.

Interestingly they are from a different company than the original but identical specifications.

The company is called AWI although there are no other detais to identify this company or where the motor was made.

I have found a couple of AWI's, one called All Weather Instruments and another seems to be to do with clock making. Not sure which, if either, manufactured the motors I have obtained but they do seem to be associated with synchronous motors.

Suppose they could even be re-badged Hengxing motors!? They look identical.

However, this may give people something to go on both in the UK and in the US if  they need to try and find replacement puck advance motors, much cheaper than buying a new smoke generator!! [:D][:D]

Manxman.
Manxman

thostorey

Being new to this forum and just surfing, I came upon this thread.

Here's my take on it, fwiw.

On the subject of rpm, I'm not sure that it matters if the motors turn at 4,5 or 6 rpm. The higher rpm will just advance the puck a bit faster. The completeness of cycle itself is governed by the articulated arm striking a breaker at the end of one revolution and thus interrupting the power to the motor. The 20-minute timer cycle is tied in to the interrupter in some fashion. This is what I observed when I had the cover off the generator today. Have I got it right? Comments?

I wouldn't mide picking up a motor as a backup for when the day arrives that I need one, as I'm sure it will [:(!]. When the issue of what motor and where to buy it is settled, I think it would be great to have the info posted as a 'sticky'.

Tom in Qualicum Beach

manxman

Hi thostorey,

Also see this recent posting to the forum;

http://www.bradleysmoker.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2553

As others have said, presumably the different rpms would not make that big a difference and could be accomodated, however quite a few of these motors actually look very similar but have different fittings, wattage and sizes which seem to make them nigh on impossible to adapt for the BS.

I came across quite a few variations during my search.

It also says on the website that Hengxing will make motors to order for specific third parties, maybe the US version is one made to order specifically for Bradley and is a slight variation on a theme which is why no-one seems to be able to trace them?

The spare motors I found in the UK look the same as the ones on my BS but to date I have yet to try them in anger, the proof of the pudding is in the eating so to speak!

I now have a further two (genuine BS) spares as 2 smoke generators packed up on me for reasons other than motor failure.I would use these first if a motor packed up.

Quite a few people seem to have looked into this in the US and anyone who can trace this motor definatively would be helping a whole lot of people...... as far as I am aware no-one has managed it yet but would loved to be proved wrong!

I seem to remember that Chez Bubba posted that he would stock some if anyone found them. However I am sure he would be unwilling to and he could hardly be expected to buy 1000 at a time which is what the manufacturer quoted to someone to supply direct!

Thinks there are other threats on this on the forum somewhere, arcsnsparks amongst others were looking into it at one time.

Manxman.
Manxman

iceman

It doesn't matter that there is a slight differance in rpm. When the swing arm completes one revolution it hits a cherry switch and shuts of. This in turn starts the timer for the next twenty minute cycle and it all starts over. Let me know what the model, serial, etc of the motor is if it works. Happy smokin!