Memphis BBQ Sauce

Started by oakville smoker, December 20, 2009, 03:41:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakville smoker

I had dinner at a new BBQ joint here in town
I had Texas beef ribs and they were deilvered with what they called Mephis BBQ sauce
Any have any idea how one might make this?
Even though I wangled my way into the kitchen for a look at his Old South pit, I did not manage to remember to ask about
the Mephis sauce.  Somehow I doubt he would have divuldged his secret recipe
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

Mr Walleye

Here is one, although I haven't tried it, it is from a reliable source.

Mike

Memphis Magic BBQ Sauce

A sweet, vinegary Memphis style sauce.

Recipe From : Smoke and Spice by Cheryl and Bill Jamison

3 Tablespoons butter
1/4 Cup minced onion
1 Cup white vinegar
1 Cup tomato sauce
1/4 Cup worcestershire sauce
2 Teaspoons sugar
1 Teaspoon salt
1/2 Teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1/8 Teaspoon cayenne
Dash tabasco sauce

The center of mid-South barbecue, Memphis offers a range of sauces that take the high middle ground between Eastern and Western styles. Like this version, they are often medium-bodied mixtures, moderate in sweet, heat, and everything else except taste.

In a saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions and saute for 6 to 8 minutes, or until the onions begin to turn golden. Stir in the remaining ingredients, reduce the heat to low, and cook until the mixture thickens, approximately 20 minutes. Stir frequently.

Use the sauce warm. It keeps, refrigerated, for a couple of weeks.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

seemore

Here is one that Scott's best friend sent to him (his best friend lives in Memphis).  It has become a favorite of ours.

Memphis Style Barbeque Sauce:

5 oz dark soy sauce
23 oz tomato juice
5 oz worcestershire sauce
12 oz ketchup
1 C apple cider vinegar
1 C brown sugar
1 lemon's juice
1 t red pepper
1 t black pepper
1 t dry mustard
1/2 t garlic powder
1/2 t onion powder
1/2 t oregano
1/2 t allspice
1/2 t ginger
1/2 t basil

Mix all ingredients in a saucepan and simmer for one hour.  Let stand several hours before serving.  Yields 1/2 gallon.

Mrs

anderson5420

Yeah, the Jamison Memphis Magic is our go-to sauce for a Boston Butt done with a variant of Wild Willy's rub done on the Brinkman Water Smoker.  The rub is 1/2 cup sugar, 1/4 cup kosher salt, 1/4 cup coarse ground pepper, 1/4 cup good paprika, 1 tbsp onion powder, 1 tbsp garlic granules and 1 tbsp chili powder.  We do the butt 10 hours in the Brinkman, which we wrap in an old rug (we are on the wet and cold Upper Left Coast).  Pull the butt and serve on squishy buns with the Memphis Magic and cole slaw on the side, I always cobb the Mr Brown for myself!  Not much better!
So many recipes, so little time!

oakville smoker

Thank you much
I just emailed myself this post for safe keeping
The boredom of vacation and not a lot to do is setting in and I will make a shopping trip and make one of these
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

lumpy

Hi Oaker
Can you tell me the name of the BBQ joint. I might try it out when I'm in town.
Thanks
Lumpy

oakville smoker

Its called the Big Smoke
They have a web site
They are on the Lakeshore in Bronte, just east of Bronte Road

lumpy

Lumpy's goin to Big Smoke this weekend!
;D ;D ;D

Thanks
Lumpy

oakville smoker

Let me know what you  think Lumpy
I am probably going to call them to see if they will be open New Years and maybe head there for dinner
I should be tired of cooking by then and having someone else do the cooking might be a treat
I am not into the over priced meals served New Years Eve and this could be a nice change
I think they even have entertainment sometimes

lumpy...  have you tried the place in Burlington ?

lumpy

What was I thinking..........this weekend is Christmas. :P

No I have not tried the place in Burlington. Soon thought!

Lumpy

oakville smoker

Tonights the night
Remember Rod Stewart singing that?
I digress or regress at least

making some Memphis BBQ sauce for the ribs that are in the smokoer now after I cut up the left over belly / rib chunks of pork for the
salami I am going to make tomorow

oakville smoker

Well I made a version of this yesterday
I say a version as I was out of white vinegar and used apple cider vinegar, I was out of Tabasco and used worcherchestire in its place
I liked it, the wife was not crazy about it, said it was too acidic and over powering
my buddy who was here for dinner last night liked it
I might try it again with white vinegar or just make a stash for me to use when the wife is not around

squirtthecat

So more or less equal ratio of tomato to vinegar is the Memphis twist?

We had BBQ last night here near the airport (Bandana's), and I got their Memphis style sauce.  It was really good..  I'll have to try it again.

oakville smoker

It seems that way
Hard to say how different white versus cider vinegar would make to the taste
I did have to add some tomatoe paste to the sauce to thicken it a touch as it was very thin even after simmering for 45 minutes

anderson5420

Memphis Magic is a thin vinegary sauce - and GREAT on pulled pork on squishy buns@

Quote from: oakville smoker on December 24, 2009, 08:51:40 AM
It seems that way
Hard to say how different white versus cider vinegar would make to the taste
I did have to add some tomatoe paste to the sauce to thicken it a touch as it was very thin even after simmering for 45 minutes
So many recipes, so little time!