Holiday boudin

Started by ronbeaux, December 25, 2009, 10:26:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ronbeaux

Last time I checked there were 112,322 recipes for boudin. OK, not really, but there are a lot! I'm killing lots of birds with one rock today.

First I dug around in the freezer and found some left over smoke ham, some left over smoked turkey, and some left over brisket. Set it to boil on the stove while gathering up all my boudin making stuff.

Took the meat out of the boil and set it aside to cool so I could go through it and pick out the bones and chunks of skin and fat. These went back into the pot along with some pinto beans.

Pulsed the meat in the FP and then added 3 seeded jalapenos and a small onion that got pulsed also. (The rice was cooking at this point) Then seasoned up a bit with garlic, oregano, and a dash of red pepper and salt to taste.

The casings and the rice got ready about the same time and I went to work stuffing them up. These are short for a reason. They are for a pot luck dinner at the campground on New Years Eve so I wanted them to be a two or three bite morsel to go along with some smoked sausage that I will prep that day, it's store bought so it will give me something to do.

It worked out to about 13lbs total using 3 cups of rice cooked in some of the broth from the meat boil. They are laid up in the OBS for a few hours of smoke and to cook the casing and then will get vac packed for the party.

I might try a few ::)
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

ronbeaux

All smoked up and ready to travel!

Tenpoint5

A few!!! I would hammer more than a few of them bite size morsels!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

squirtthecat

Man, those look great!

Do you just heat & eat?

ronbeaux

Yes. They are vac packed and in the fridge. Before the party I will put the bags in some hot water to reheat them. Smoking at 190 for 3 hours set the skin so it is not rubbery and allowed me to clip them into individual pieces.

pensrock

Thats cool. I never had boudin and never figured it was mainly rice. I guess you could throw just about any meat into the pot, no wonder there are so many recipes. Can you do one with crawfish/shrimp and crab? Bet that would be good too.

ArnieM

They look great Ron.  Boudin is on my to do list.

Pens, here's a description of several types, including crawfish.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boudin
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

rdevous

Quote from: pensrock on December 26, 2009, 07:07:02 AM
Can you do one with crawfish/shrimp and crab? Bet that would be good too.

Pens...............You had to go there................calling 1-800-DROOLING.............I hope they deliver!!!   ;D ;D ;D

Ray
If you can't smoke it.....you don't need it!!!

ronbeaux

pensrock

Quote from: rdevous on December 28, 2009, 02:10:09 PM
Quote from: pensrock on December 26, 2009, 07:07:02 AM
Can you do one with crawfish/shrimp and crab? Bet that would be good too.

Pens...............You had to go there................calling 1-800-DROOLING.............I hope they deliver!!!   ;D ;D ;D

Ray

Man that would be good.

classicrockgriller

No pork liver?

They look great!