Bisquette not burning completely

Started by DTAggie, December 28, 2009, 05:16:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DTAggie

Got an orginal 4-rack for Christmas.  The bisquettes are only burning on one side.  Seems maybe only 1 out of 8 will burn the top side just a little bit.  Is this normal?

classicrockgriller

No.

Are you plugged into an extention cord?

Are your pucks cycling every 20 minutes?

Make sure all you plugs in back of Bradley are pushed in all the way.

Gizmo

No not really.  I have had a few not burn completely but most do.  Are you preheating for 30 to 40 minutes before loading?  What is your oven set temperature?  I notice the non complete burns more when doing cold smoking (no oven temp) or very low oven temps.  Even though the bisquettes are only burning on one side, are they burning almost through to the other side?  
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

classicrockgriller

DT this came out of the FAQ section.

Q. Bisquettes do not burn completely. Is this normal?

A. After the bisquette is burnt, is should retain its shape, but noticeably be reduced in size. If you break one in half it should have a blackish color throughout. If not you may not have preheated the burner, or the burner is not getting enough power, or the burner may have a residue buildup, or your generator may not be cycling your bisquettes at regular 20 intervals, or worse – any combination of the four.

If only the first couple of bisquettes show signs of partial burning, that is a good indicator that you did not preheat the burner, or did not preheat it long enough. Turn the generator on and preheat the burner at least 20 minutes prior to loading the feeder tube. I don't load my feeder tube until I am ready to start smoking, so I turn my generator on when I preheat the cabinet.
If you do this with the digital you will have to reset your smoke time when you load the feeder tube.

If all bisquettes consistently or intermittently show signs of partial burning; it could be caused by a dirty burner plate. You will need to clean the face of the burner plate off. The best way to clean it is to use a wire brush, and gently brush off any residue buildup. The use of denatured alcohol helps with the tough areas; just make sure your burner plate is cool.

Consistent or intermittent signs of partial burning could also be a sign that the burner not getting enough voltage. Check to see if other electrical equipment is plugged into the circuit. The smoker should be plugged into its own dedicated wall circuit. If not try unplugging or not running some appliances that share the same circuit; if that is an option. If you are using an extension cord, use the shortest cord possible, and make sure it is at least a gauge 12.

If your generator is not cycling the bisquettes properly click on "My bisquettes advance, but are not cycling every 20 minutes?".

If the problem persists contact Bradley Smokers.

Here's a link to FAQ section.

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=481

DTAggie

Thanks for all the answers.  I have only done one hot smoke and did not notice it as much as I did with the cold smoke I did last night on cheese.  But makes sense the cold smoke may not burn them through.

However, with my smoker, there was not an owners manual that talked about heating the smoke generator before placing he bisquettes in it,  It makes complete sense afterhearing that. So, I will do that on the net hot smoke and also stand by and time when they advance to make sure the 20 minute interval is correct.

When I opened the box, I thought it odd there was only a recipe book and very short assembly book.  Should there have been more in terms of use guidelines?

classicrockgriller

DT go to Bradley's home page and there is a viewable manual.

Or give them a call, they are great people and they will send you one.

DTAggie

Thanks Classic.  Think I get the best answers on here.  Drowning my sorrows now after my Boys took it on the chin big time tonight.

classicrockgriller

Did you know A&M is now offering a college credit in BBQing.

My son's did some work for me over the summer and meet the pit boss (teacher).

He said they go thru all the smokers/grills during the year.

He sent home a big bag of his jerky. Pretty kewl.

DTAggie

Wish they had that while I was there.  Heading down there tomorrow for New Years with some friends.  Terrible game last night in the second half.