Smoked Taters

Started by trout, February 19, 2004, 11:04:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trout

Read about smoking baked potatoes in a grilling book this week.  Having steaks tonight, so I thought what the hell I'll try smoking some spuds.  I just rubbed them with oil and sprinkled them with kosher salt and fresh ground pepper.  I have no idea how long it will take to bake them.  I have about 1.5 hours of smoke loaded up and have the heat source on high as we have a winter storm advisory today.  If anyone else has tried this in their smoker let me know.  Otherwise I will report in how they turned out later tonight.[:o)]

Let your trout go and smoke a salmon instead.

trout

Smoked taters for about 3 hours at around 250degrees.  They tasted like they were cooked over a camp fire.  The smoke doesnt really penetrate the spud though.  May be better to throw some twice baked potatoes in so both the skin and the inside would get some flavor.  Or I guess a guy could cut several slits across each potatoe and throw some bacon on the next rack up like some of you have suggested when smoking leaner meats.  But then you would have to eat salad for a few days to get your heart beating again.[:D][:D]

Fuzzybear

Hmmm...what about cutting them in half, sprinkling whatever you have on had on them and wrapping them in bacon, then wrapping them in foil?

Now you got me wondering if I should "experiment" he, hee![}:)]

"A mans got to know his limitations"
Glendora, CA - USA!

msiler

Darn...

That sounded really good. If you perfect it make sure you post the changes...

That is one of my favorite uses for smoked leftovers... Baked potatoes toped with butter, sour cream, green onions, lots of smoked meat, cheese and bbq sauce.... I will warn you ahead of time you may never eat a regular baked spud again.

When in doubt smoke it.

Fuzzybear

Well, the wife is talking diet again....probably won't be able to hit the taters for a couple of weeks...[V]

Glendora, CA - USA!

trout

Fuzzy,  that sounds like something we cook up camping.  A little onion some spuds some butter wrap it up and set it over the fire.  But I don't like to wrap things in foil in the smoker. Kind of defeats the purpose.  However, if your talking throwing some of those packets in the smoker while smoking some other meat, then your right on.  Might as well make full use of that heat while your smoking.  Hell, now you gave me another idea to try.  How about a couple halves of acorn squash with some butter in them set on the rack for a few hours.  You would have smoky squash with some interesting tasting smoky butter melted inside (or low fat butter spread if the wife is watching).[:)]

Fuzzybear

Man...I never thought about tossing squash in there and I love the stuff.....lemme know how they turn out - heck, throw some butternut in there too!  and a sausage and a chicken - dinner!!

Glendora, CA - USA!

Chez Bubba

As long as we're on the veggie kick, smoked onions are pretty awesome too. Cut off the top, salt, pepper & butter. Good as a side or........

My wife was having a bridal shower for her little sis. I volunteered to make the food since they were too caught up in the crisis of deciding whether the napkins should be pink or purple.

They had decided one of the items to be served was chicken salad sandwiches. Not real sandwiches, those little foo-foo things. My first reaction was to smoke a chicken & make the salad. But knowing the audience, figured that might be too much.

I decided to use a smoked onion in the recipe & leave everything else alone. They all loved it, proclaiming "I don't know what it is, but this is the best chicken salad I've ever tasted."

To me, it was a little bland, but the lesson I learned is that you've got to draw the uninitiated in slowly. Especially the ones with pre-determined mindsets that they won't like it because.......

Gotta try the squash thing, that's a great idea.

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Fuzzybear

Dang this is getting better and better....chicken/sausage/ribs/onion/squash/catfish/trout/salmon - it's a good thing I'm not a full time cook- I'd be well over my current 215!!![:D]

Glendora, CA - USA!

Chez Bubba

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by msiler</i>
<br />When in doubt smoke it.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
'Nuff said![8D]

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

Kummok

OK, I gotta ask.......any experience with smoking garlic?  It's soooo good just baked, I can't imagine it getting better, but smokin DOES improve most everything else[:p]

Kummok @ Homer, AK USA

Fuzzybear

Not from me Kummok - I think I might toss some in next time I smoke...it's been raining here for two days and expected to continue for another 5 if you can believe the paper...

I don't like messing with electricty and water and can't smoke indoors...[:(]

Glendora, CA - USA!