• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoked turkey stock and gumbo

Started by KyNola, December 29, 2009, 08:56:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

Going to make a chicken, turkey and andouille sausage gumbo on New Year's day.  Kept a couple of smoked turkey carcasses from Thanksgiving in the freezer.  Jan said she would make the turkey stock from those smoked carcasses if I would tell her how I wanted it done.  Stock being made as I type.  Spiking this with a little liquid crab boil in the water that will become the stock.

Come New Year's day, out comes the gumbo pot and first you make a roux!

KyNola

FLBentRider

You go KyNola!

With Pics, of course !
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

HawkeyeSmokes

Keep us posted Ky.

It sounds good already!
HawkeyeSmokes

KyNola

Will do!  Only problem is folks like Ronbeaux, CRG, NePaS, Bayamosmokes and Billman have been making gumbo since they was old enough to ask their momma to scoot their highchairs over to the stove so they could reach the gumbo pot!

I'll try not to let my more learned gumbo stirrers down.

KyNola

classicrockgriller

I am not a Gumbo maker, I am a Gumbo eater. ;D

Growing up my Mom made great Gumbo so I had no need to learn.

Got married and my wife's Mom taught her well, so the saga continues.

My wife makes great Gumbo and don't want to compete with her on that.

When it is Gumbo time, I am the sous chef, I chop the trinity.

Will be watching with interest.

pensrock

Man I love good gumbo. Unfortunately in PA its hard to find. A guy I work with said his buddy married a Cajun girl and she is supposed to make the best gumbo. He said next time she makes it he is going to take notes, cause she doesn't measure anything just fills the pot. I made it a few time from seeing them make it on TV and from looking at recipes on the net. Its good but not great.

KyNola

CRG-You got gumbo makers all in your family.  Don't I recall you got a family member who is a competition gumbo cooker?  Seafood gumbo if I remember correctly.

Pens- I know you've heard it before but it's all in the roux.  In my opinion, that is where 80% of the flavor of a gumbo comes from.  I make my roux from scratch.  I've used that roux in a jar before and absolutely hate it.  It's worth the time it takes to make your own roux.

And Ronbeaux....... I'm flat afraid to hear from that brother. :o

When I start the gumbo on New Year's Day, I'll start a different thread.

KyNola

pensrock

KyNola,
 I do make my own roux but I think I do not let it go long enough. Guess I do not want to burn it. It is normally tan when I stop cooking it and I think it should be brown.

EDIT:
It may sound odd but the best gumbo I ever had was at 'The Ole College Inn' In State College, PA (where Penn State is). I was staying there for a seminar and decided to just eat there instead of going into town. All I can say is, they have a great chef and his gumbo was out of this world. Now I cannot compare it to any gumbo in Cajun country cause I have never been there to eat authentic gumbo.

KyNola

Pens,
The darker the roux the more intense flavor and the less thickening power.  I will stop mine just short of the color of chocolate because when you toss the trinity in to cook, the roux will automatically jump a shade darker.

Basically 3 styles or colors of roux for me. A blond roux used to make sauces and some gravies.  A peanut butter color or tan roux.  I use it for darker gravies and seafood gumbo.The dark or chocolate roux.  I use it for heartier gumbos.

Sorry, way more than you wanted to know about rouxs. :)

KyNola

classicrockgriller

Not trying to Hi-jack your Thread, Wifie had been doing the same with our smoked Turkey bones, making a good stock.

She separated the fat and added Brown Rice and the left over Turkey meat (dark and white).

Got me a bowl (actually two), little seasoned pepper and fresh crushed Black pepper.
Toasted a cpl pieces of jalapeno cheese bread. (Bread got crushed by the damn Bag Boy)

Sleeting rain outside, who cares.

KyNola

CRG,
I sure don't take that as hijacking a thread.  That's another great idea for using that smoked turkey stock.  Thanks for the pic too.  That looks great!  Well, except for the crushed bread. :D

KyNola

classicrockgriller

I usually bag my own Groceries and Bark! at anyone that trys to help me.

I guess I was busy talking to the cashier.;D

KyNola

Jan just reported that the stock is finished.  She said she made a lot so some will get frozen for later and some will go in the gumbo New Years Day.  Can't wait to get home to taste the stock.

KyNola

CB

As long as it's not hijacking - I saved up two smoked turkey carcasses and made some deeply rich stock as well. Some went into this navy bean soup into which I also added some smoked pork belly that I'd vacu-sealed and froze in late October.  

This pix is a container ready for the fridge on top of which I add a tsp or so of freshly chopped parsley, a tsp of minced garlic and top that off with kalamata olive oil - that kinda seals it all in nicely. When I open these containers the fragrance of that garlic, parsley and smokey soup is too much!  But now --- I have an idea for using the remainder for Gumbo - thanks for the post!

Happy Grilling!

hal4uk

Just don't forget the okra.   ;D
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby