Smoked Cheddar

Started by koneric, December 30, 2009, 04:11:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

koneric

Does anyone else have a problem with the cheddar crumbling after cold smoking it?  I smoked some mozzerella and sharp cheddar at the same time and the mozzerella slices fine, while the cheddar just crumbles when i slice it. 

ArnieM

I haven't had a problem like that.  Generally, the longer it ages the sharper it gets and the drier it gets.  That could cause it to crumble.

Improvise.  Bring to room temp.  Cut and crumble.  Add maybe a little sour cream or cream cheese.  Add your favorite spice(s).  Mash.  Serve as a spread on crackers.

So, how long did you smote the cheese and at what temp?
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

koneric

I smoked the cheese for an hour at around 85 degrees.  Do you think that freezing it after I smoked it had anything to do with the crumbling?

deb415611

Freezing will make cheese crumble.

ArnieM

That sounds like a pretty moderate smoke and shouldn't be the problem.  Freezing it was probably the culprit especially if not wrapped really well.  Your freezer is a dehydrator.

I've only had my smoker for 4 months or so and did a couple loads of cheese.  I wrapped the cheese in three layers of plastic wrap and just put them in the fridge.  I've heard on the forum that wrapping real well or vac sealing and then putting the cheese in the fridge for up to 6-8 months works.  No need to freeze it.  I don't have any personal experience yet because I haven't had the smoker that long.  My last was from early October and it's still looking and tasting great.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Quarlow

Someone even told us he was eating cheese he smoked in dec. of last year.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Paddlinpaul

I haven't had the opportunity to smoke and cheese yet but I know cheddar can get crumbly depending on the brand. The 2 biggest brands here in my area of Canada are Cracker Barrel and Black Diamond. I find the Cracker Barrel is much more moist and never crumbles the way Black Diamond does. We have some smaller dairies that make great cheddars also like Balderson Cheese which has a more moist cheddar also. I would look at the milk fat (MF) and moisture % of the cheddar.
With my Bradley, no one tells me to quit smoking!

pensrock

QuoteI smoked the cheese for an hour at around 85 degrees.  Do you think that freezing it after I smoked it had anything to do with the crumbling?
YES even if vacuum packed. I have tried it and freezing will make it crumbly and dry. I cannot say this is true for all cheeses but the ones I  have tried all come out bad.

FLBentRider

Quote from: Quarlow on December 30, 2009, 04:46:05 PM
Someone even told us he was eating cheese he smoked in dec. of last year.

That would be me.

The December batch is done.

Still eating the batch from this January.

Look at the date on the cheese before you open it. The cheese I smoked 1/2009 had 2011 dates on it.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

unclebuck

I find that Armstrong cheese is the best to smoke.  They have the best old, medium & mild cheddar, mozza, & havarti. It is probably only available in Western Canada, B.C, AB, SK. 
what can't be smoked can't be eaten