New Cheese to smoke

Started by FLBentRider, December 31, 2009, 09:22:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

electricshaman

Thanks for the info on smoking cheese.  What temp on the unit is the best and what are some good varieties to try.

Quarlow

Just keep your tower temp below 80 to 85 degrees.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

FLBentRider

Quote from: electricshaman on January 05, 2010, 05:16:13 PM
Thanks for the info on smoking cheese.  What temp on the unit is the best and what are some good varieties to try.

I would get a small sample of a wide selection, and see what you like.

Then get LOTS of the kind you like.

Some say harder cheeses need more smoke.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OU812

Is it done yet?  :)

Is it done yet?  :D

Huh Huh Huh?  ;D

Is it done yet?  ::)

FLBentRider

Yes. smoked, vac sealed, and waiting.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OU812

ArnieM

Quote from: electricshaman on January 05, 2010, 05:16:13 PM

I also like the 80-85 degree range.  Cooler is certainly OK but the cheese seems to take on less smoke and color.

As for cheese, use what you normally like.  And BE SURE to wait at least 10 days after wrapping it up and putting it in the fridge.

I did several pounds of mozzarella a while back.  Take a cheap frozen pizza, decorate it with more 'stuff' (pepperoni, sliced tomato, etc), some EVOO and sliced smoked mozzarella.  WOW!
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

OU812

Ditto on what every thing Arnie said.

I've taken the cardboard pizza and dressed it when the wife wasnt lookin like Arnie does and my wife thought she got a different, better, kind of pizza so she dug through the garbage lookin for the wrapper. When she found it and seen it was the same ole crap she always buys and I was sittin there laghing she wasnt very happy cause I didnt say anything when she was diggin.

She said "That wasnt funny"

I said "O yes it was"

You could have opened a beer bottle with her upper lip.  ::)

ArnieM

OU, next time burn the evidence.

I get these pies, Tony's or Guido's or something - 5 for $10.  They're light on toppings but have a really nice crust.  So, I can decorate 'em up my way.  The smoked mozzarella makes for a great taste.

I'm gonna have to try lasagna and eggplant parm with the smoked moz too.
-- Arnie

squirtthecat

Quote from: ArnieM on January 06, 2010, 12:27:12 PM

And use chopped smoked brisket instead of browned GB..

OU812

Quote from: squirtthecat on January 06, 2010, 12:33:57 PM
Quote from: ArnieM on January 06, 2010, 12:27:12 PM

And use chopped smoked brisket instead of browned GB..

I have used leftover brisket and ground it to make it more like GB in lasagna and it was great, I like to put spinage in with the ricotta cheese when makin lasagna.

Arnie

I never thought she would go to diggin, she usually just looks straight at me when something tastes diff and says "Ok what did you do to it this time?"

I do that to her all the time when shes cookin.  ;D

ArnieM

I rarely have any left over brisket (bunch of chow hounds here) but I think it would go well in the lasagna.  I also use spinach in the ricotta. 

OU, yeah, they'll go diggin'.  They'll try to figure out what you're up to to try to get one up.

My wife loves pots and pans (hello Amazon) but rarely actually cooks.  She made "Hamburger Steak Dianne" with gravy and egg noodles last night.  All by herself.  She was very proud of herself and it was really good.  If only I could encourage this trend ...
-- Arnie

OU812

The only reason I have leftovers is cause its just me, my wife, who eats very little and my daughter, which eats a little more than mom, left at home. The boys, which could eat a hole brisket them selfs, have moved on.

Arnie

My wife rarely actually cooks also and when she does its kinda, well guarantied, bland. My daughter is starting to experiment with adding additional flavors, dont know where she is getting that from.  ::)

ArnieM

Quote from: OU812 on January 06, 2010, 02:31:03 PM
My daughter is starting to experiment with adding additional flavors, don't know where she is getting that from.  ::)

I dunno OU.  Maybe genes?  The key word above is 'flavors'.  Not necessarily hot or spicy, just flavored.  (Don't get me wrong, I like hot.)  Take a boneless skinless chicken breast.  You can grill it, bake it, poach it or fry it.  It still doesn't taste like much of anything.  That's where spices come in.

I'm still waiting to get a few pics of Pachanga's spice cabinets.
-- Arnie