Drip Pan Size.

Started by Mr B, January 11, 2010, 04:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr B

Well my new OBS arrived on Saturday Hoo Hoo ;D.  I opened it up and everything tests good (another  ;D).
My question is: is there alot of evaporation from the drip bowl?  The reason I ask is, I have smoked the past 11 years with a top loading "Barrel" style smoker.  the drip pan is located over the heating element on these.  I just smoked a Pork Shoulder for 12 hours on Sat night.  My drip pan is 4 times the size of the Bradley pan and it needed to be filled to the top to last the all night burn (12 hrs at 190*).
"Rambling over, on to the question again"  Will this pan need to be filled many times OR since it is located under the heat element is there less evaporation than my old style smoker?

Are people using a larger pan to replace the Bradley Stock Pan?

Thanks to all.

FLBentRider

There is definitely less evaporation that with your barrel smoker.

There is some, but the bowl also catches anything that drips from the meat.

Some members use a disposable aluminum roasting pan instead of the bowl.

You should empty and refill the water bowl every four hours when the smoke is rolling.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

classicrockgriller

You can use a 13x9x2 disposible can pan

It will fit under you heat element.

Quarlow

Quote from: classicrockgriller on January 11, 2010, 09:08:07 PM

To translate for my tongue tied buddy that would be a 13'x9'x2' disposible cake pan. ;D ;D ;D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Quarlow on January 11, 2010, 09:11:28 PM

To translate for my tongue tied buddy that would be a 13'x9'x2' disposible cake pan. ;D ;D ;D

Actually it would be a 13"x9"x2" unless.....this (') equals an inch in Canada.

hal4uk

MrB, if you have GFS store (I call it "Goofus"; same thing I call my oldest cat)...
They sell the disposable foil pans in several sizes in bulk.

They come in handy for a LOT of stuff, and if you go ahead and buy the case (100 usually), they're a lot cheaper.
Sounds like a lot, but ya buy a few every now and then, and before ya know it, you've already paid for a case...
(and only gotten a 1/2 case)
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Quarlow

Quote from: classicrockgriller on January 11, 2010, 09:13:40 PM

See I told ya there was to much blood in my alcohol system. ;D ;D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

Quarlow

Quote from: Quarlow on January 11, 2010, 09:47:37 PM
Quote from: classicrockgriller on January 11, 2010, 09:13:40 PM

See I told ya there was to much blood in my alcohol system. ;D ;D
Oh I mean yeah that is the metric system symbol for inch.  ;D ;D

OBS
BBQ

hal4uk

Another thing, MrB...

When I said GFS has "several sizes", I didn't mean to mislead you...
I don't think they have the 13 FOOTERS...
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

classicrockgriller

yep that 13'x9'x2' is a foil tent for you and your friends

Habanero Smoker

Hi Mr. B;

Yes! There will definitely be less evaporation. The type of barrel smoker you have, uses water vapor to help keep the smoker temperature down. I used to use a vertical water smoker, and needed to watch the water pan as much as I did the coals, in order to keep the temperature down. That requires a large amount of water.

The Bradley smoker is different. It does not depend on water vapor to maintain the temperature. The temperature is controlled by a 500 watt element that can be regulated. The water pan in the Bradley has two main functions; 1) to extinguish the bisquettes when the drop into the bowl, and 2) to catch the drippings in water, to prevent them from catching fire.

I use the bowl that came with the smoker and change the water on a schedule like FBL, but I find once I dump the bowl and bisquetts after the first four hours, the water lasts quite a bit longer in the bowl. I have done overnight smokes, and after 6 hours there was plenty of water left. Of course that depend on what temperature you keep you cabinet at.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Mr B

Thanks guys.  I will go grab a larger pan.
Hab Smoker, actually my barrel smoker has a reostat style temp control on it.  I am able to go as low as about 125* and up to over 250*.  The large drip bowl over the heat element really makes for very moist meat and never dried out the outside of whatever was smoking.  This had been a great smoker and I will not be getting rid of it anytime soon.
The Bradley will be a very nice new addition to my cooking arsenal.  I love the front loading abilities and the easily removable trays.
I just seasoned it last night for about 2 hrs at 150*.  It worked extreemly well.  I am impressed.  Looks like I need a slab of meat for this weekend  ;D

Quarlow

Git'r done Mr.B.... smoke on ;D

OBS
BBQ