Lentils?

Started by squirtthecat, December 11, 2009, 04:50:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

Quote from: Ka Honu on December 12, 2009, 08:01:57 AM
New Years Day at my place is an afternoon/evening open house for somewhere between 40 and 80 people.  SWMBO gets to watch while I spend a couple of days making ham, black-eyed peas, collard greens, cornbread, and pecan pie.  Obviously none of those are "Hawaiian traditions" but people keep coming year after year for the "strange food" (and bring some really great local potluck stuff to round it out).

Sounds like a great spread KH.  If I had 80 people in my house, they'd have to be "very friendly"  ;)
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Ka Honu

Quote from: squirtthecat on December 12, 2009, 08:12:56 AMWe're flying home from Williamsburg, VA on NYE, but I think I can make the tight connection in St Louis and be on your doorstep 10 hours later... 

I've heard that kinda crap before.  Just thaw out and show up.

OBTW, I lived in Williamsburg when I was in HS and worked for CW, mostly at the Magazine & Guard House.  Are they still showing "The Story of a Patriot" at the Visitor Center?  If you haven't seen it, the star is Jack Lord (way before he was Stoney Burke or McGarrett). 

squirtthecat

Quote from: Ka Honu on December 12, 2009, 08:42:22 AM

OBTW, I lived in Williamsburg when I was in HS and worked for CW, mostly at the Magazine & Guard House.  Are they still showing "The Story of a Patriot" at the Visitor Center?  If you haven't seen it, the star is Jack Lord (way before he was Stoney Burke or McGarrett). 

Will find out in a couple weeks...   We are staying there from Christmas Eve to New Years Eve.

I've only visited CW once, very briefly, in the dead of summer.   This should be much more relaxing/enjoyable.

Ka Honu

Quote from: squirtthecat on December 12, 2009, 08:46:14 AMI've only visited CW once, very briefly, in the dead of summer.   This should be much more relaxing/enjoyable.

... not to mention, much colder.  For some reason, my (ex) wife insisted we spend our late-December honeymoon in CW.  I think she liked the fact that she got a free guide and they do have beautiful Xmas decorations.  The weather, however, sucked (but that was in the late 60s - well before global warming).

Ka Honu

Quote from: ArnieM on December 12, 2009, 08:33:27 AMSounds like a great spread KH.  If I had 80 people in my house, they'd have to be "very friendly"  ;)

Luckily they seem to spread it out pretty well over 6-8 hours.

anderson5420

Here is our old go-to, lentil casserole.  Here is my precision recipe.  You don't need a pressure cooker, just boil lentils (they are one bean that doesn't need soaking or anything) for half an hour or so and drain.  Fry up some pork sausage and mix with the lentils. Add a lot of Worchestershire Sauce, mix well and put in a glass baking dish. Put some grated Swiss cheese on top and bake for another half an hour. This is a regular at the Anderson home...
So many recipes, so little time!

squirtthecat

Quote from: anderson5420 on December 19, 2009, 03:14:41 PM
Here is our old go-to, lentil casserole.  Here is my precision recipe.  You don't need a pressure cooker, just boil lentils (they are one bean that doesn't need soaking or anything) for half an hour or so and drain.  Fry up some pork sausage and mix with the lentils. Add a lot of Worchestershire Sauce, mix well and put in a glass baking dish. Put some grated Swiss cheese on top and bake for another half an hour. This is a regular at the Anderson home...

That sounds great!   Thanks!

JGW

Here's a german recipe called 'Linsen Eintopf' (Lentil Stew)...

1lb Lentils
1 cup celery, diced
2 Med onions (sliced, but I usually dice em)
2 carrots, diced
2 Quarts water
1.5 tsp salt
.5 tsp pepper
.5 Thyme (dried)
2 Bay leaves
1 potato (I dice it)
Ham bone
2 TBsp lemon juice
.25 lb bacon
As much sliced cooked bratwurst that you want.

Soak lentils overnight (Yeah, I KNOW - just do it).  ;)  Saute bacon, and add celery, onion, carrots.  Get it going until it's a golden brown.  Add water, lentils, and all the dry ingredients.  Put the diced potato in this mixture and add the ham bone.  Simmer 3 hours.  Remove bay leaves and ham bone.  (NOTE:  Add any chopped ham you have, if you wish).  Add lemon juice, stir, and throw in sliced brats.  Serve.

I used to live on this stuff when I was in the military and stationed in Germany.  It's good.  Hope you try it.

JGW

squirtthecat

Thanks JGW, sounds good!

3rensho

JGW that's very similar to what my wife is making tonight to go with dinner (Königsberklopse).  In this part of the world they believe that if you eat lentils on 1.1 then you will have money in the new year.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

squirtthecat

Quote from: 3rensho on January 01, 2010, 06:21:14 AM
In this part of the world they believe that if you eat lentils on 1.1 then you will have money in the new year.

I'd better get the pot simmering now...     :D :D

KevinG

Quote from: 3rensho on January 01, 2010, 06:21:14 AM
In this part of the world they believe that if you eat lentils on 1.1 then you will have money in the new year.

Uh oh, I better find a lentil store in a hurry.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

hal4uk

It's black-eyed peas for luck today.
Our pot is simmering..
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

squirtthecat

I went with some Trader Joe's marinara sauce and black olives/mushrooms on the stove..

The Ham I smoked to use with the lentils turned out like cr@p, so I tossed it. 

HawkeyeSmokes

I was going to be Red Beans and Rice today. The beans I picked must have been old because after soaking, half of them were still hard.

Now it been changed to Pinto Beans and Rice! Doing a quick soak on them right now.
HawkeyeSmokes