Help! First run and smoke does not seam to be filling the cabinet

Started by mbetz, January 01, 2010, 04:30:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbetz

I do have the heat on.  I think I will have to do some more tinkering.  When you all have mentioned going to a longer tube are you talking about a longer vertical run?

Also Do you think if I went with two 45 deg. elbows and get rid of the 90 it would help?

I have removed the water from the puck pan.  It makes sense that this would create more smoke.

Thanks for all of your help.  This is what make this forum so great.

Mark

Mr Walleye

I don't think the elbow would be much of a restriction for it. It could simply be that the ambient temps are so cold (like it is here today -43) and the connector pipe is staying cold enough to not allow the heat from the puck burner plate to create the draw required to move the smoke in an upwards direction. Kind of an air lock so to speak.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

mbetz

Mike - So you think I might just want to be patient and wait for a warmer day do give it anouther try before modifying too much?  where not as bad here in the middle of Illinois.  It is 9deg right now with out the wind chill.

Mark

Mr Walleye

Mark

Certainly if your intent is to use it at cooler temps you will have to resolve it at some point in time. I know I would.  ::)

To try and prove the theory I was trying to think if some way of providing some additional heat to the connector pipe. Maybe a hairdryer blowing on the outside of it? Not that this would be a solution, just more of a test try and figure out exactly what the problem is.

I noticed back on the first page you referenced one of Iceman's setups (and he has some awesome setups), certainly that method would be a solution because the smoke is already in the cabinet so to speak.

Mike

mbetz

An idea just came to me that might work.  Right now I have a water pan above the propane burner that is currently allowing the heat flow to go around it on all sides.  What if I made a baffle at the top of the water pan that would be open just below the opening that is connected to the smoke adapter box.  My thinking that the up current from the heat past the opening would create more of a draw to pull the smoke from the adapter box.

I could also use some duct insulation around the elbow to keep it from cooling to much while in transit.

Mark

Mr Walleye

Quote from: mbetz on January 01, 2010, 09:29:52 AM
An idea just came to me that might work.  Right now I have a water pan above the propane burner that is currently allowing the heat flow to go around it on all sides.  What if I made a baffle at the top of the water pan that would be open just below the opening that is connected to the smoke adapter box.  My thinking that the up current from the heat past the opening would create more of a draw to pull the smoke from the adapter box.

I could also use some duct insulation around the elbow to keep it from cooling to much while in transit.

Mark

I'm not quite following the baffle idea you have... I can't seem to get the mental picture...

So to recap... right now you are running the propane burner, trying to maintain a 200 degree tower temp, top vent is open, bottom vents are closed, and the smoke generator is running.

Is there still smoke backing up and out the smoke generator?

The insulation idea on the pipe may help, you could just wrap an old towel around it to see if it helps.

Mike

mbetz

The smoke is not coming out thru the louvers in the generator housing is it coming out were the generator interfaces with he metal adaptor plate that comes with it.  Is that what you still consider backing up into the smoke generator?

My thought for the baffle was to direct the heat convection in front of the opening from the pipe connecting he smoke generator to the cooking box to get more flow past the opening to create more of a draw or venture action to pull the smoke from the adapter box.

It may work or it may not but it sounds like it should.  I will have to try and test it.

Mr Walleye

Quote from: mbetz on January 01, 2010, 10:18:10 AM
The smoke is not coming out thru the louvers in the generator housing is it coming out were the generator interfaces with he metal adaptor plate that comes with it.  Is that what you still consider backing up into the smoke generator?

My thought for the baffle was to direct the heat convection in front of the opening from the pipe connecting he smoke generator to the cooking box to get more flow past the opening to create more of a draw or venture action to pull the smoke from the adapter box.

It may work or it may not but it sounds like it should.  I will have to try and test it.

Yes, I would consider it still backing up if you see smoke coming out between the generator and the adapter plate.

You idea regarding the baffle certainly won't hurt to try for sure.

How open do you have the top vent?

Mike

mbetz

HawkeyeSmokes

HawkeyeSmokes

Mr Walleye

Yup I agree with Hawkeye, even though I realize your trying to maintain temps in your tower, I would still try it to see if it helps.

Here is a post some time ago by Iceman regarding the damage that can be done to the generator by allowing the smoke to continuously back up.

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=5192.0

Mike

mbetz

I opened the top vent all of the way open and it seams to have stopped most all of the smoke from backing up into the generator.  When the wind blow across the top of the tower you can tell it creates a good draw.  When it stops you see the smoke back up again.  It looks like I need to do some rethinking on my set up before I use the generator again.

I hope I did not ruin it on my first run with it.

Mr Walleye

I wouldn't think you damaged it. They are pretty simple to take appart and clean and once you get it dialed in you may want to do that.

About what size vent is the top vent?

Mike

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: Mr Walleye on January 01, 2010, 10:59:43 AM
I wouldn't think you damaged it. They are pretty simple to take appart and clean and once you get it dialed in you may want to do that.

Mike

Agree with Mike here.

I also was thinking that if you have a short piece of vent or stove pipe, try setting it over your top vent. It might help increase the draft enough to help.
HawkeyeSmokes

Mr Walleye

Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on January 01, 2010, 11:02:04 AM
Quote from: Mr Walleye on January 01, 2010, 10:59:43 AM

Mike

Agree with Mike here.

I also was thinking that if you have a short piece of vent or stove pipe, try setting it over your top vent. It might help increase the draft enough to help.

I was thinking the same thing Hawkeye, you could use a short piece of PVC pipe or a juice can or something like that. It also stops any wind from blowing directly into the tower.

Mike