Nothing special just some salt

Started by Tenpoint5, January 03, 2010, 05:45:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tenpoint5

I was smoking some bacon so I filled up two coffee filters with sea salt and threw them in there for 2 hours of smoke. The salt on the one filter really took on a good color but the other one still has some good flavor. You can see a bottle of brand new sea salt in back just for color sample.

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Tenpoint5

It does have a lot more color than what it looks like in the photo

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

squirtthecat

Tenpoint5

I wish but it is just hickory smoked it was on top of the bacon.

squirtthecat

I bet you'll be surprised...   It might pick up a waft of bacon goodness.

classicrockgriller

What did it taste like?

It sure looks good.

ronbeaux

I love the smoked salt and sure don't mind blowing through some pucks to get my stash back up!
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

OU812

That looks smokey and tasty

Have you tried smoked fresh cracked black pepper? Man thats good.

Brad Stab

You can tune a piano, but you can't tune a fish.

classicrockgriller

Tenpoint5

Quote from: classicrockgriller on January 04, 2010, 01:34:03 PM
What did it taste like?

It sure looks good.

It tastes Great!! Only thing is I am not sure if I like the Mediterranean Sea Salt it is almost to fine and really grind into a fine salt. If I adjust the grinder bigger it almost fall out of the grinder. Need some courser salt I think.

Brad Stab

Quote from: classicrockgriller on January 10, 2010, 07:25:00 PM
Brad, is that rosemary?

Yes that is rosemary, Adds a soft pine note to the salt. I used Baline brand course seasalt from France.
You can tune a piano, but you can't tune a fish.

Tenpoint5

Brad,
Did you notice that yours darkened with age? I know mine has both in the salt grinder and in the bottle.

ronbeaux

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on January 11, 2010, 02:00:12 PM
Brad,
Did you notice that yours darkened with age? I know mine has both in the salt grinder and in the bottle.

Mine got a little darker. Use the course Morton's Kosher salt. It's cheap and will stay in the grinder.

I couldn't really tell the difference when I used the sea salt which costs more.
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

squirtthecat

I used Kosher salt and still have some in the jar I dumped it in - it does look a bit darker now over time.