First cheese smoke

Started by jaegertc, January 05, 2010, 08:07:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jaegertc

Working on my first cheese smoke.  Ambient temp is about -3.  My six rack has been hanging around 48* (although it inexplicably just went up 10*) using only the SG.  Maverick probes have stayed in the mid to upper 60s (although, again, the cabinet temp jet started climbing - I'm not too concerned because its coming out in about ten minutes).

I've got Cheddar (sharp and mild), Muenster, Gouda, Gruyere, Velveeta (just to gross my wife out), a blue cheese made in my hometown, and pepperjack.  There may be another one - I can't remember.  I'm using a mix of apple and alder.  Can't wait to try it.  I just wish I didn't have to age it before snacking...10-14 days?  Really?
6 Rack Digital
Vermont Castings 4 burner
ECB

Ka Honu

NePaSmoKer

Quarlow

Definitely for sure 10 to 14 days. That sounds like a pretty good load but you know it doesn't count till we see pics of it.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

jaegertc

I believe it after smelling what came out of the smoker.  It needs some serious mellowing - like Courtney's Love on a bender needs mellowing.
6 Rack Digital
ECB

jaegertc

Some pics - planning on taking some out of storage tomorrow, now that it's had 10 days to smoke.  Apologies if the pix don't show up - I'm using Picasa, which is a little different than Photobucket.

6 Rack Digital
ECB

classicrockgriller

Might be a little early, but if it is just reseal and wait alittle longer.

Haven't cut most of the cheese I smoked on Nov 4th.