Eye of Round Earl Campbell's Style

Started by KevinG, January 09, 2010, 12:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevinG

Well folks, here it is. I finally decided what to make using my new spice (Thanks NePaS). It was a toss up between this and chicken, but I thought it might be too salty for the chicken since I always brine it.

I started out with 2.38 pounds of Eye of Round Roast.

Here's the Spice.

I sprinkled it liberally on all sides of the meat, and let it warm up for about an hour.

I preheated the Bradley to 250 F and got ready for 2 hours and 20 minutes of Jim Beam flavored smoke.

The IT is currently at 69 F, got the ET-73 set for 130, and will pull and let the meat heat bring on up to 145.

Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

classicrockgriller

I saw the Question "Who was Earl Campbell" ?

He played for the old Houston Oilers back when Bum Phillips was coach and in the days of "Luv Ya Blue"

He was a heck of a Running Back that the Oilers literally ran his legs off.

Him and Bum have a line of Sausage in stores in this area.

Man that smoker is shiny. Send that thing to me and I'll darken it for ya. ;D

KevinG

I did a little research on him too, just out of curiosity. As far as the smoker, she's finally starting to get a nice orange tinge to her. I don't get to cook as often as I like, living alone it takes me a week to eat what I cook. I do get the occasional visitor checking out what I'm smoking though.

Even the Roadrunner smells good food cooking with all that smoke.

ronbeaux

Earl Cambell was one of my favorites!! I got to meet him twice. Once coming home from the airport after the Oilers beating the Pittsburg Stealers, and the other time was at the Houston Rodeo BBQ Cook-off. I was cooking on a team right across the isle from his cooking team. During the day we all ran to the nearest K-Mart and bought all their footballs and asked him to sign them which he did. Later that evening he walked across the isle and came up to me and said " Got any Scoal Brother??" I gave him my whole can.
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

KevinG

I decided veer off from the recipe I was following and let it sit in the smoker until the IT got to 145 - I'm not a big fan of red in my meat, but can tolerate a little.

Well here it is, piping hot out of the smoker.

I cut it open and it came out just fine.

I'm glad I didn't use the spice on the chicken like I was going to do, it is a little salty, but I figured that from the ingredients. All in all this came out really well!

classicrockgriller

That's nice.

I like that first pic, looks like a bears head.

Did you FTC it?

NePaSmoKer

When i grow up i wanna be a Roadrunner

ZIP

DANG..........................ZIP DANG

MEEEP MEEEP

Paddlinpaul

Hey Kevin that final cut sure looks good. I am a rare to medium rare beef eater so red always looks good to me.
What is that foil wrapped brick(?) for?
With my Bradley, no one tells me to quit smoking!

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Paddlinpaul on January 09, 2010, 05:26:20 PM
Hey Kevin that final cut sure looks good. I am a rare to medium rare beef eater so red always looks good to me.
What is that foil wrapped brick(?) for?

The brick holds the heat for when you open the door, makes for faster heat recovery.

Paddlinpaul

And this why I love this forum so much. Thanks.
With my Bradley, no one tells me to quit smoking!

KevinG

Quote from: classicrockgriller on January 09, 2010, 02:44:36 PM

I like that first pic, looks like a bears head.

I guess that's what happens when you're a Chicago fan at football time. But not quite as nice as your turkey turned out.  ;D

Quote from: classicrockgriller on January 09, 2010, 02:44:36 PM

Did you FTC it?

No, I was going to but my stomach got the better of me.

KevinG

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on January 09, 2010, 04:30:21 PM
When i grow up i wanna be a Roadrunner

ZIP

DANG..........................ZIP DANG

MEEEP MEEEP

That's funny, cause that's about as fast as he was. He hoped up on the fence, dove down after a sparrow, jumped back up and was gone.