smoke flavor for prime rib

Started by watchdog56, January 10, 2010, 04:57:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

watchdog56

I was wondering if anyone has tried smoking a prime rib for 3 hours using 2 hickory and 1 mesquite ratio? I will cook until IT hits 130 but think I only need 3 hours of smoke. The other flavors I have is apple and maple.

FLBentRider

Believe it or not, I only use 1 hour of smoke (usually Pecan) on a rib roast.

Three hours should be more than plenty, I think the Hickory/mesquite combo would be interesting.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

watchdog56

Do you think I should cut it back to 2 hours and may be use apple,mesquite instead?

ArnieM

Mesquite is pretty strong.  If you did apple/mesquite you probably wouldn't notice the apple.  Apple/hickory may be better (IMHO).  My go to for beef roast is oak.

Yeah, I'd cut the smoke time down.  I like the smoke flavor but also want to taste the beef.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

squirtthecat

Apple/Pecan is a good mix as well..   Lots of flavor, but nothing over the top.

watchdog56

Well i did 2 hours of hickory and mesquite(2 hickory,1mesquite,2,hick,1,mes). Will let you know how it turns out.

watchdog56

Well I pulled meat out with IT of 130 then put in foil for about 45 minutes then broiled for 5 at 500. Meat was very tender just a little over done for me(but not for wife) I did put foil on one end to keep from getting to well done. Next time I think I will pull it out at 125. Tried to post pictures but cant remember how or where to find the info to do it.

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: watchdog56 on January 10, 2010, 06:32:03 PM
Well I pulled meat out with IT of 130 then put in foil for about 45 minutes then broiled for 5 at 500. Meat was very tender just a little over done for me(but not for wife) I did put foil on one end to keep from getting to well done. Next time I think I will pull it out at 125. Tried to post pictures but cant remember how or where to find the info to do it.

Here's the link to posting photos watchdog. Posting Photos
HawkeyeSmokes

watchdog56

Thanks Hawk. Where is this on this site or is it in the Susan B Minor site?

ArnieM

It's on susanminor.org.  Just click on the "Posting photos" link.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.