First time Brisket help needed

Started by Rockpig, January 05, 2010, 09:26:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rockpig

So, earlier I mentioned I'm doing brisket and butt for 25-30.  Another guy will be bringing a brisket, so I only have to do one.
Searched hi and lo for a packers cut and found the below at $3.99 a pound.  The local butcher wanted $5.50 a pound! :o  To top if off when I called and asked for a packers cut he didn't know what I was talking about!
So, having never bought or cooked/smoked a brisket, did I get the right one (sorry for the crappy cell pics)?

Reading as much as I can soak up, especially from Pachanga.  I'm going to start cooking this next Friday, so...

1. For aging, do I just throw it in the fridge as is (my fridge has a dedicated drawer for meats, veggies, cheese, etc-have it set to meat)?

1a. Do I just leave her as is in the cryo vac bag?

2. She's 9.1 pounds and will fit on the rack with the bend method.  After trimming the fat, any other trimming you suggest?

3. Any other suggestions?
Th

Thanks!

FLBentRider

I don't usually age mine, so I can't help with #1.

I trimmed too much off my first one, since then I just put it in there as-is.

I can't tell if that is a flat and a point or just a flat, if there is a point I would separate them and smoke them on different racks.

I usually go simple, Salt, fresh cracked pepper, four hours of smoke @205F, continue @205F to 190F or so.

The last one I did I took it out after 19 hours, didn't even check the IT. It was awesome.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Rockpig

She looks to be about 2 inches thick. I asked the butcher if it was both flat and point and he said yes.

westexasmoker

Hey Rockpig!

Yep thats a packer, you can see where the label is, its right at the where the flat and the point come together.  Notice how the grain changes directions.  I'd just leave it in the cry-o-vac till the day before your smoke then a little trimming and season up for your smoke the next day.  Just remember low and slow!  Good luck and keep us posted!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

ArnieM

I don't age either.

9 pounds sounds like what some would call a "well trimmed" brisket that would be both the flat and point.  As FLBR suggested you might be able to separate the two.  There's usually a strip of fat running crosswise.  

Based on the weight, I wouldn't do too much trimming of the fat cap unless it appears to be really thick.  Fat cap up or down?  Well, that's another thread.  ;)

Pachanga recommends a mustard slather.  I haven't done that yet but it sounds interesting.  I have a brisket in the freezer waiting for me so I'll probably try it out.  Other than that, I agree with FLBR that a nice salt and fresh crushed black pepper goes well as a rub.

I've averaged out about 2 hours/pound at 210-220.  Don't use the lowest rack - too much direct heat.  

IMHO, I wouldn't put on any smoke (hickory or mesquite is good) for more than 3 hours.  Others may smoke longer.

Let us know how it turns out.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Rockpig

Here's a few shots of the side with the 2 liter bottle of soda behind it for reference.

I Don't want to pull it out yet to see if there are 2 cuts to it unless I really need to.

Rockpig

Quote from: westexasmoker on January 05, 2010, 10:12:17 AM

I'd just leave it in the cry-o-vac till the day before your smoke then a little trimming and season up for your smoke the next day. 

Stupid question...No need to freeze it right?  Just leave her the way she is?
Sorry-used to bringing home my meats, seperating into 2 person meals, food sealing and sticking in fridge.  I've never let any uncooked meat sit in the fridge for more than 2 days.

Also-thanks for the quick replies!

Quarlow

That should be fine in the fridge till friday, after all if you hadn't lovingly brought it home with you it could easily sat at the store that long.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

pensrock

Pachanga

Rockpig,

I'm on the same page as WTS's comments.  It looks like a packer to me.  I'd leave it in the cryovac and wet age until just before you are ready to roll.  I believe there is a wet aging article in the Recipe Site by Olds and Habs.  It makes sense to me that aging helps the final product and it seems to prove correct in my experience.  At the same time, many scoff at wet aging.  You do need a refrigerator that will keep the temperature down.  I age up to six weeks.  

I do not divide my flat from the point but I know that those who do have turned out some nice smokes.  The single piece method is the way I was taught and it has worked well for me.  I trim very little also.  It may be a difference in regional styles.  Or it could be laziness.  I prefer to think of it as being efficient.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

UK Smoke

I am also a Newbie to the brisket world. I am a KY boy so I have a lot more experience with pork. My advice is simple, listen to everything WTS says. I studied his post on brisket smoking on the Bradley and I have had very good luck with my briskets as a result. My friends and family think I know what I am doing and it is really a nice change of pace for this pork BBQ addict.....