Whole Chickens Question

Started by Max, January 09, 2010, 05:13:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max

I want to do one or two whole chickens in the OBS. Probably a couple of 4 - 5 pounders. My question is about the grease drip from the birds. I know when I cook birds on the gas grill I get a ton of drips from the fat and skin. At times this has caused a BLAZING INFERNO and near burned down the back porch on a few occasions.

Should I have the same concerns for doing chickens in the OBS? Any tips for doing this safely and minimizing cleanup? I'm envisioning a pool of grease pouring out the door when I open it :)

FLBentRider

I have done lots of chickens in the bradley with no inferno or grease pooling issues.

Keep the vent WIDE OPEN.

Make sure the food is not touching the sides of the cabinet, particularly the back wall.

The liquid from the birds should end up in the puck water bowl.

If you like the skin, you may want to pull them out a little early and finish them on the grill or in the oven.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KyNola

Nothing to add here as FLBR is spot on.

KyNola

Max

Quarlow

Yeah thats the whole idea of the v shaped drip tray. To catch all the drippings and funnel them to the water pan. Good luck.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

standles

I will only add...

Watch the bowl doesn't overflow.

I split my whole birds (cut down each side of the backbone) and lay flat for more even cooking.

Steven

Hoss

Quote from: standles on January 09, 2010, 09:44:21 AM
I will only add...

I split my whole birds (cut down each side of the backbone) and lay flat for more even cooking.

Steven

Never tried down the backbone.  I split the breasts.
Life is not like a box of chocolates.  It's more like a jar of jalapenos - What you do Today might really burn your ass tomorrow.

KevinG

Quote from: Hoss on January 09, 2010, 09:46:26 AM
Quote from: standles on January 09, 2010, 09:44:21 AM
I will only add...

Steven

Never tried down the backbone.  I split the breasts.

A man after my own heart.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

hal4uk

I think Hoss does 'em that way cause he likes to say he "split the breasts"  ;D

Max, here's the birds Hoss did today...
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=13654.0;topicseen
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Quarlow

I have seen them split down the breast. Hoss is there a reason you split them down the back? They look pretty neat with the wings sitting the way you did those.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.