• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

My first batch of jerky is smokin! (Elk)

Started by Sweet35th, January 09, 2010, 10:50:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sweet35th

Got a 5# roast of Elk from a friend.    Vonhansens was nice enough to slice up into 1/4 pieces for me.   Marinated in a chipotle marinade (I like spicy) and its up and running.      Wish I had pictures.   Maybe for the next batch.  Wasn't able to get all of it in the OBS.
A wise friend once told me.   "If you sit on the couch all day long drinking beer, your an alcoholic...  If you sit in front of the smoker all day long drinking beer,  your a hero!"

Gizmo

You have my envy.  The best jerky I have ever had was elk.  Back in my Navy days, one of my shipmates was from Colorado and went Deer, Elk and Moose hunting every year.  His dad sent him a package of the elk jerky and we were fortunate enought to get samples.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Sweet35th

Dont give me your envy untill its done!  :)   I could still screw this up.
A wise friend once told me.   "If you sit on the couch all day long drinking beer, your an alcoholic...  If you sit in front of the smoker all day long drinking beer,  your a hero!"

Sweet35th

Well so far so good.   I planned on smoking it for about 4hrs and then just keep an eye on it till its done...The OBS is holding at 150 degrees with an ambient temp of 0  It might be creeping up a lil bit so Ill keep my eye on it as I am only 1hr in.

NePaSmoKer

Get another set of racks and invert one on top of the other. A 4 rack will be an 8 and a 6 rack will be a 12

Sweet35th

Dang you are a smart feller arn't you?      Well for my virgin attempt I am more than content with the 4 racks.    I have done TONS of jerky in a dehydrator but it just does not ever have that "smoked" feel that I want from it, so this is my first smoker attempt....

I rotated my racks after the first hour and I would say by appearance that by maintaining 140-150 degrees temp I think this Elk may be done faster than I previously estimated. 

KyNola

Yep, NePaS is a pretty smart ol' dude.  I'm pretty sure he's made jerky before. :D

KyNola

Sweet35th

Quote from: KyNola on January 09, 2010, 12:40:45 PM
Yep, NePaS is a pretty smart ol' dude.  I'm pretty sure he's made jerky before. :D

KyNola

Thats for sure!!!

Well here is the preliminary.    A few of the smaller pieces are done already.   About 3hr 45min in,  and texture and everything is very good.  However the next batch I think I will cut the smoke time in half.    I smoked for 3hr 30min  and I think the smoke is over powering the marinade.  It has a slight almost burnt initial flavor to it..  I quickly yanked all the pucks off after the samples so hopefully the larger pieces will not have that flavor.  And the next batch will deffinatly cut smoking time down.  (That will be later tonight)......However even despite that, it still came out suprizingly good.  At least in my opinion. 

Sweet35th

Ok  round 1 done.    A lil too long of smoke.    To my surprise the marinade that I used was very subtle after smoking....And its a strong marinade..

Round 2 is in the smoker.    This time I did not blot off alot of the excess marinade.  I also added a bit of seasoned pepper to this batch too.   I will only smoke it for 1.5hrs this time around as well.

I have some room as this batch is only taking up 3 racks, so I rubbed some pork chops with a McCormick pork rub and will put them in for 15-20 min before putting them in the oven to bake them...Why not give them some flavor when I can?

NePaSmoKer

KyNola

Yeah a couple times  :D  :D

Sweet35th

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on January 09, 2010, 04:33:18 PM

KyNola

I want proof!!!   (PM me for my address!  :)  )

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Sweet35th on January 09, 2010, 06:23:47 PM
Quote from: NePaSmoKer on January 09, 2010, 04:33:18 PM

KyNola

I want proof!!!   (PM me for my address!  :)  )

Well lets see  :D

Some of todays jerky for my neighbor

And others.

And on a larger scale  ;D

And some venison once in awhile too.

Sweet35th

Sorry I need physical evidence!    ;D

KyNola

NePaS,
I'm pretty sure if you keep practicing you're going to get the hang of making jerky! ;) :D

KyNola

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Sweet35th on January 09, 2010, 06:42:10 PM
  Sorry I need physical evidence!    ;D

Well ya better but some chains on the Ford cuz you'll never make it our dirt rd with the snow