Big temp swings-why?

Started by bundy, January 18, 2010, 04:55:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bundy

Something I have noticed using my BDS this winter ( I have in heated garage and vented outside ) is that I'm getting large temperature swings of allmost 25*-30*, is that normal?
Thanks for your help!

bundy

I see reading up on this, most recommend a PID, what is this and where do I get one?

MPTubbs

http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=14

This where I got mine.

They now have a new dual probe model out.

A PID will not have temp. swings.....-2 to +2 instead of your average -15 to +15 swings.
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

pensrock

It depends on what you are smoking whether you want/need a PID. If your doing pork butts, briskets and poultry then you can get away without. If you were to measure your home oven you will see pretty big temp swings also.
If you want to do salmon, sausage and things like that where you need to keep the temp swings to a minimum then a PID is the way to go.

bundy

Thanks you all!
Didn't know they would be that much! These pepper sticks can get expensive but I'm hooked on the challenge now so better get one, do you need the specific one ( AUBER ) or would others work?

I still haven't got my BDS to draft properly so am working on that problem yet.

BUNDY

Quarlow

There is another brand which is not quite the same Called Ranco. It is much cheaper but I will personally get the Auber as it is designed for the Bradley and is plug and play. Everyone who has them raves about them and they are so simple to use. I can't comment on the Ranco's but a few members have them and maybe chime in on them.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

pensrock

You can smoke the sticks for a couple hours then move them to a dehydrator if the goes to 150-160F, to finish.
Quotedo you need the specific one ( AUBER ) or would others work?
Pretty much any temperature controller will work if configured and setup properly.
Mine is a Honeywell industrial controller. Many use the Auber which is fairly cheap when it comes to temperature controllers. Others have the Ranco which will not control as tight as the others but better than the BDS. There is also controllers like the BBQ Guru made for cooking but a little pricey. You may want to ask in the forum for a used PID, with the new Auber controller out now there may be some wanting to upgrade and looking to sell the older model.

squirtthecat

Quote from: Quarlow on January 18, 2010, 09:22:50 AM
There is another brand which is not quite the same Called Ranco. It is much cheaper but I will personally get the Auber as it is designed for the Bradley and is plug and play. Everyone who has them raves about them and they are so simple to use. I can't comment on the Ranco's but a few members have them and maybe chime in on them.

I have a Ranco.  It works pretty well, but it isn't nearly as advanced as the Auber.  I still have fairly wide temperature swings at time, as it is just more of a glorified thermostat. (at least I don't have to fiddle with the slider thingie anymore)

I will eventually get a programmable Auber and use the Ranco for something else.

anderson5420

I have the Ranco as well and am very happy with it.  If you go with a Ranco, the model you want is the ETC 111000-000.  Here is the Grainger page for it.  There is a wiring guide on for it here, and it was really very simple to wire up.

The Ranco is about $75, the Auber is about $150 and up.  Here is the the Auber Instruments page for the Bradley controllers.

I have an OBS not a DBS, and SOME kind of temperature controller should be considered essential - sounds like it is the same deal for the DBS, so you have to wonder why you would buy a DBS if you are going to go out and buy an Auber PID or Ranco controller anyway... ::)

Quote from: squirtthecat on January 18, 2010, 10:51:52 AM

I have a Ranco.  It works pretty well, but it isn't nearly as advanced as the Auber.  I still have fairly wide temperature swings at time, as it is just more of a glorified thermostat. (at least I don't have to fiddle with the slider thingie anymore)

I will eventually get a programmable Auber and use the Ranco for something else.

So many recipes, so little time!

Quarlow

If you are going to buy a PID anyway the $100 you save on the OBS offsets the price of the PID and IMO you would have gained nothing by getting a DBS because the PID takes over for the Digital SG controller.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

lumpy

Someone should start a thread titled "PID pros and cons"
This way when someone asks about a PID we can direct them to the information. Might help out a lot of FNG's. ;)

Lumpy

anderson5420

Lumpmeister - there are no "cons" with PIDs (well the purchase price maybe), only "pros"!  Same goes for Rancos in my book.  I would however like to see somebody post a detailed instruction set for achieving the same result with a $45 Auber bare PID, a $15 solid state relay, and a few items from the hardware store...

ArnieM

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

Caneyscud

This is coming from a tool junkie and I have 8 grills or smokers (currently looking at another one) and two controllers - so I love my toys!  Not trying to tell anyone how to spend their money, but bundy mentioned 20 to 30 degree temp swings.  As pens stated, what's the big deal - unless you have something more delicate than the normal barbecue lineup.  Cooks have no problem, putting things in the oven, and unless you have a gas oven, the temp swings in an oven can be big (especially in the low and middle temps) , and you lose heat when you open them also.  There is no "right" temperature for low-n-slow, but generally accepted is 225 + or -.  If you cook at a steady 250, you'll have great barbecue, just a little faster.  If you cook at a steady 200, you'll have great barbecue, just a lot longer.  If you smoke at 180, well you'll play heck  getting that butt to an IT of 200 for pull apart tendernesss!  If your temps range from 200 to 250, guess what? -  that averages 225.   I seriously cannot tell a difference between barbecue cooked at a steady 225 or some cooked with a big range, or some cooked at 250.  I sometimes think I can tell if some is cooked at 200 as my belief is that the bark is not as pronounced.  Now, let me state, that I am talking about "normal" barbecue (butts, shoulders, brisket, ribs, chicken, fish, etc....)  Yeh, I've read all the books, articles, etc... where the pundits say steady temp is highly important.  But putting emphasis on cabinet temperature takes emphasis away from four things and debatedly a fifth thing that make a much greater difference to good barbecue.  

1. meat
2. what you put on or in your meat
3. amount/type of smoke generated (not variety of wood)
4. ending IT

5. The point that is debatable is technique (foil/no foil, FTC/no FTC, Grill marks/no grill marks, beer butt chicken, etc....)

Example?  On a show on the food channel the other day, some guy won reserve grand champion at a contest.  He was cooking on what appeared to be an offset.  Well into the smoke, he found out his meat was in a hot spot and was getting done faster than he wanted.  Adjusted the heat and moved the meat to cooler area.  He was agitated and worried.  But he came out very well in the contest.  
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

anderson5420

Indeed, that appears to contain exactly what I was looking for.  Will have to print that one out and save, thanks!

Quote from: ArnieM on January 29, 2010, 06:45:04 AM
Anderson, have you seen this article?

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=315