Anyone willing to help the tard? Got all my stuff and don't know what to do...

Started by danattherock, January 09, 2010, 10:14:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danattherock

CRG,

Will do man. Thanks again, and again, and again, and ...

::)
"The wilderness holds answers to questions man has not yet learned to ask"

danattherock

Just got off the Yard and Pool site. Ordered some of the mesh high temp jerky racks. Sounds like it makes clean up easy. Ordered a 24 ounce tub of "Butt rub"... ha ha... and also got a 48 pack of the Jim Beam briquettes. Might try them on some 10.5 babyback ribs next week. For a free forum, sure seems to be pricey. Ha ha.. Can't wait to get started.

Got a few questions (imagine that)...

The "fat cap" I keep reading about on boston butts, do I need to be trimming some of the fat off before smoking a butt? Sounds like 1/4" to 1/2" is about ideal, but more than that can prevent "rendering" the fat. So I read in old threads anyway. Any info appreciated.

If smoking for the wife and I, say one butt or two slabs of babyback ribs, what shelf do I put the meat on? I have the OBS.

I read where many put the CT probe from the Maverick 73 under the bottom rack and off to the side so it doesn't get dripped on. Is this correct, or does it goe under the rack the meat is on? Or for that matter, should the meat be on the bottom rack?

Read a butt can dry out on the backside if you cook it 20 hours without moving/flipping. How often and in what orientation would you suggest moving/flipping to allow equal cooking of the butt?

I understand what FTC means, but not fully what it does. Are we keeping the meat warm until it is ready to be served or does this FTC do something else? Wondering if I should FTC to improve the quality of the finished product?

Do you move the IT probe during the cooking process. I read about "fat pockets" and how they can show an IT that doesn't truly reflect the actual meat temperature. Wondering how you would prevent this.

So you guys/gals use injectable marinades in butts, ribs, etc.. when smoking? I do this with steaks and chicken on the grill but was unsure of its efficacy in smoking meats.

Thanks for any and all suggestions (past and future) :)

Habanero Smoker

If you have a PC, then you may want to download the recipe site. That not only has recipes, but a FAQ section that may be of use, since you will not be able to access the internet.

Recipe Download

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

danattherock

Thanks for the link, I do appreciate it. I don't have a laptop that I can take home. Just a desk top computer at my home (away from home) and the work computer I use often here as well. It is a pain not having a computer or internet access back in NC, but we can't justify the expense since we are only home for a few weeks every three months. Wonderful info though and I appreciate you taking the time to post the link. I will access it on my home computer (I am at work now) and that way I can save it for future reference. Tons of great recipes for sure. I read most of them in the last 48 hours and got tons of ideas. That is the problem with learning sometimes, the more you learn, the more questions arrise. A double edged sword of sorts. Ha ha...

-Dan

FLBentRider

Quote from: danattherock on January 11, 2010, 02:03:19 AM
The "fat cap" I keep reading about on boston butts, do I need to be trimming some of the fat off before smoking a butt? Sounds like 1/4" to 1/2" is about ideal, but more than that can prevent "rendering" the fat. So I read in old threads anyway. Any info appreciated.

I almost never trim butts, unless the fat is really excessive, like more than 2 inches thick.

If smoking for the wife and I, say one butt or two slabs of babyback ribs, what shelf do I put the meat on? I have the OBS.

I would avoid the bottom shelf if you don't have a full load.

I read where many put the CT probe from the Maverick 73 under the bottom rack and off to the side so it doesn't get dripped on. Is this correct, or does it goe under the rack the meat is on? Or for that matter, should the meat be on the bottom rack?

I put mine under the lowest rack of meat off to the side.

Read a butt can dry out on the backside if you cook it 20 hours without moving/flipping. How often and in what orientation would you suggest moving/flipping to allow equal cooking of the butt?

I don't flip. I do rotate racks top to bottom and front to back. The back of the smoker tends to get hotter than the front. For butts I do this every four to six hours. I figure that the heat is moving into the meat so slowly that flipping is not needed.

I understand what FTC means, but not fully what it does. Are we keeping the meat warm until it is ready to be served or does this FTC do something else? Wondering if I should FTC to improve the quality of the finished product?

FTC does two things. It allows the meat to rest and continue to tenderize. It also allows you to stage your food until serving time.

Do you move the IT probe during the cooking process. I read about "fat pockets" and how they can show an IT that doesn't truly reflect the actual meat temperature. Wondering how you would prevent this.

I move the probe around every now and then, especially if I get a temp reading that doesn't seem right or fit in with the rest of the butts. Especially if it seems like it is "done" BEFORE you think it should be. The fat pockets run 10-15 degress hotter than the meat since fat is denser than meat. Your fingers will tell you this when you pull it.  ;D

So you guys/gals use injectable marinades in butts, ribs, etc.. when smoking? I do this with steaks and chicken on the grill but was unsure of its efficacy in smoking meats.

I have not done the injectables. I have stuck with brines and rubs thus far. Other members here have done it with good results.

Good Luck!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Caneyscud

Dan, coming into this late, and it looks as if my comrades have ya covered.  Most important thing to remember is to have fun!  And also remember there is not one correct or even one best way!   The Bradley is a tool that you use to make what you want to make.  It has it's limitations - and that is a good thing.  You don't rush good BBQ, and the Bradley won't let you.  Set that baby to somewhere betwee 220 and 250, load up some pucks, press the buttons and get to smoking.  And don't quit smoking/cooking that thing until you get the IT you want.  As you can tell, we all have our opinions, and it is fun to wade through them.  Best advice is to pick one - any one and do it.  Then you judge what you like or don't like about the outcome and note changes to make the next time.  It is a never ending search for perfect "Q!  One never reaches BBQ nirvana - you get close, but then she teases you and then she goes just out of reach again! 

As for me, I just don't let it go completely unattended all night.  I do set the temp alarms, but I will also set an alarm every hour or two and get up an check it.  That is a holdover, from my stickburner cooking.  Necessary to stoke the fire to keep it going.   Amazing, once you get used to it, how much sleep and rest you can get doing the 1 hour alarms. 

fat cap - really doesn't matter - I keep it simple - leave it on - easier - unless like FLBR said it is really thick - but don't think I've seen one that way in a long time

Shelf - as FLBR said - not the bottom - nothing wrong with the bottom, but it is hotter, especially toward the back (it is where the heating element is) and the back side could get over done if you done rotate it. 

Themo probe.  - doesn't really matter, cooking a butt is not an exact science so an exact temperature is not needed as long as you are in the 200 to 250 range for most of the cook.  What is more important is the ending Internal Temperature (IT). 

Flipping - not really necessary unless you see the back side ccoking too fast and that only usually occurs on the lowest rack.  You can rotate, but the Bradley is a convection oven, cooks, by heated air, not by the element.  With the open grill racks, the hot air can get all around the meat whether you flip or not.  Just remember, to flip you have to open the door.  What happens when you open the door is that all that hot air rushes out.  So then you have to heat up more air to cook the meat.  The less opening the door the better - therefor the remote themos.  Again keep it simple

FTC - works, but no real need if you cook to a good IT.  You should let the meat rest before cutting/pulling.  I will C of the FTC at times do to timing.  Remember this is not an exact science.  I usually guesstimate how long a cook should take - guessing on the long side,- if time is critical (i.e. you have guests coming at 5:00 and they will be hungry).  Sometimes the meat finishes sooner so it gets thrown into a cooler just to keep warm. 

IT Probe - FLBR nailed it like the rest 

Injections. - All a taste preference. - Up to you -  If you want those tastes inside your meat go for it.  I'm old school, a little rub and a lot or smoke is all I want!  and sometimes I mop.  Lots of people brine, inject, marinade, etc... Other than possibly tenderizing a little, the main reason for doing those things is to add flavors to the meat.  If that is what you want, I'd pick one and try it.  and change it the next time if you don't.

Have fun with this Dan. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

danattherock

FlBentRider and Caneyscud,

I sure appreciate the lengthly replies. I have the information I need to give it a go. Thanks to everyone here for their patience with yet another newb thread. It speaks volumes about the character of this forum and I will look forward to sharing pictures and stories here soon. I visit an Alaska Outdoors forum, a flyfishing forum, a photography forum, and a golfing forum aside from this one. I can honestly say I have never seen such consistently helpful and polite folks anywhere. You guys rock! Glad I found you:)

And special thanks to my "smoke hotline" team (CRG and FLbentrider). I won't trouble you guys unless I need to, but thank you both for giving me the option. Can't really convey here how much I appreciate it. Most kind of you guys.

Boston butt, ribs, and pork loin, on deck Jan 15-30th ...

Pics will be coming...

Dan

squirtthecat

And just remember to have fun! 

I've have the Butt Rub from Y&P as well - it's really good!   I use it for any smoked experiments I take to work, as I have a diabetic friend/coworker..   It doesn't have any sugar to speak of.

classicrockgriller

Dan, you will do fine and I am up all kind of hours so call when you need to.

danattherock

Working my last of three graveyard 12 hour shifts tonight. My wife and I are travel ER nurses. Driving home to NC Thursday at noon. I can almost see the smoke rolling out of my OBS. Silver bullet in hand of course. I have printed off all the PM's (thank you!!) and most thread replies here. Got it all organized in a manilla folder. My "smoke hotline" pals, (now three deep thanks to KyNola) are written on the front of the folder. I must admit, I am feeling pretty well prepared for my first smoke. You guys are actually going to be with me in a way as I smoke my first butt:) Can't wait to share some pictures with you. The very least I can do. Photography is a hobby of mine. I will take my DSLR and tripod home so I can get some quality shots. Taking my macro lens to show some juicy close ups. Ha ha.. Just wanted to say once again how much I appreciate the help here and in the PM's. You guys/gals are too much. Many thanks!

-Dan

Tenpoint5

Thats what we are all here for. Someone helped us now we are passing it on to you.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Quarlow

I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

KyNola

Dan,
We've got your back son.  Now go smoke a pork butt and some ribs and make that wife of yours proud.

BTW, thanks for all your wife and you do taking care of those of us who need it the most when we first come through those E.R. doors.

KyNola

classicrockgriller

Caneyscud

Quote from: danattherock on January 11, 2010, 06:13:11 PM

. I visit an Alaska Outdoors forum, a flyfishing forum, a photography forum, and a golfing forum aside from this one.

I was liking ya real well until the golfing forum was mentioned.   ;D ;D ;D  What fly fishing forum and what photography forum.  Also two of my many interests.  I like 'boo and black lenses.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"