Hotel Bradley

Started by oakville smoker, January 10, 2010, 10:19:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakville smoker

the Hotel Bradely is now open for business

The carcass of what I started with:

The carcass takes its first trip oustide, insulation left and right, insulation on the rear panels, insulation in the floor of the cabinet

Hotel Bradley welcomes its exclusive tennant:

the roof needs a place for the sweet smoke to go, measure 6 times, cut once...   LOL

Baby its cold outside, give me a roof and some some doors please:

Our ammenities:

The view from Hotel Bradley:

Our ammenities:

Test time now.  Its 20 degrees F outside, nice sunny day
I fired up old Bessie and it hit a 240 pre heat out there in about 45 minutes
Temps seems to be holding good and recovery has significantly improved
Smoke is going where its supposed to go, I am off now to go get a chimeny
Tere are some side ribs in there and Bessie is working her magic on them right now
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

KyNola

Way to go Oak!  Looks great.

KyNola

Gizmo

The ammenities look to be for the polar bear club for now.
Nice job.

Is it difficult to open the door far enough to get the racks in an out?
Don't forget the air intake on the left side of the smoke generator.  Don't want the unit to slide over to the left and the intake vents get blocked.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

classicrockgriller

oakville smoker

Giz
Its a balmy 15 degrees F here right now
Just wondered out into the frozed tundra in my bare feet and shorts, pulled the cover open and had a soak
i will be back in after dinner

No issues with opening the doors or rack pulling, lots of room for that
Its tillholding a nice consistent temp of 220
My side ribs are sitting in some AJ right now and should be done in 90 mins

The bottom of the cabinet has a rough texture to it and it seems tough to slide stuff around in there
The cabinet is bolted to the table its sitting on so it aint going anywhere

Just came back from the Home Depot and picked up a 4 inch flue and chimeny cap, fits perfect
Now I just have to work on an extension for the vent control

Next up,some vinyl lettering;

Hotel Bradley 
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

OU812

Halifax Aussie

please  can you post photos with the smoke chimney when attached.
thinking of doing the same thing, and your my blueprint.
In 1992, Newfoundland scientists discovered that Bacon was made from pigs.

oakville smoker

Will do that tonight. 

I found a "flu" with a chimeny attached at Home Depot for 14 bucks
The other thing I am going to do this weekend is insulate the front doors as I forgot they had pockets that will accomodate insulation and nip a little access way for the cables at the back of the tower so the unit can slide further back into Hotel Bradley

squirtthecat

That looks really slick, Oak!

I didn't insulate mine...  Looking back, that would have been a good idea.   I might add some this summer, when I put the exhaust fan in.

Paddlinpaul

Can't wait to see it with the chimney on it. I bought the same cabinet and need to do the mods on it still. Do you have a PID? If so, where will it sit?
With my Bradley, no one tells me to quit smoking!

oakville smoker

I have not gone the PID route yet. I say yet.  Anything can and will happen

I think if I was going to put a PID in the cabinet, I would install a shelf between the tower and the cabinet wall above the smoke
generator.  There is not a lot of room left in there but I think there is enough for a PID for sure.

Squirt:  not sure why you need an exhaust fan.  I just cut a hole above the vent and even without the chimney thig, the smoke was exiting directly out the hole.  An exhaust fan might be overkill

squirtthecat

My cabinet is the 6' version of yours..   The smoke needs some 'help' to get out.  (and I want to vent out the side - easier to cut through)

oakville smoker

Now I get it.  Out the side could be interesting.

squirtthecat

Quote from: oakville smoker on January 12, 2010, 09:10:09 AM
Now I get it.  Out the side could be interesting.

I'm going to attach a cheap venting range hood to the 'ceiling', and vent straight sideways through a dryer vent. (to help keep out the elements, critters, etc.)

Then I can operate it with the doors locked shut.   

I meant to do it before winter set in, but it didn't happen...    I want to run power out to my little patio as well, and hook it all up nice and clean.

Lots of TODOs for this Spring!

Tenpoint5

OS, I am wondering if you are going to have issues with your "Hotel" I understand the insulation idea but with that being such a small confined space. Are you going to have moisture related issues from condensation that may damage the Smoke Generator? I don't know but something is sending up a red flag here for me. I might be and probably am wrong but something is nagging at me about this.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!