Capicolla

Started by oakville smoker, January 08, 2010, 09:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakville smoker

I saw a supermarket ad for supplies for making capicolla.  Of course that got me thinking which is never a good thing
I started thinking I should make some, I love this stuff.  In my previous life, my father law was a butcher trained in
Italy and I used to watch him make salami and capicolla all the time.  That was 20 years ago and I am sure I don't have all
the brain cells I had way back when

I immediately pulled out Rytek's book and looked at the recipes for capicolla.  It calls for pork butt brined and smoked to keep things
simple.  I always thought this was more like pancetta.  I remember it being round and with layers of fat and meat and was cured in the cold room, never smoked.

Are there any capicolla or pancetta recipes out there?  I am now craving this stuff and see it as my next challenge.
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

Quarlow

Oh god Back 20 years ago when I drove dumptrucks we did a lot of work for the city of Vancouver. Those jobs entailed a lot of sitting around waiting(one guy digging and three guys leaning on shovels). Anytime I was near the Italian section of town I would hit this little Italian deli. That guy made the best Capicolla. He would build you a sandwich that had a mountain of meat on it and some real nice hot mustard and only charge me $2.50 for it. If you bought the meat separate it would probably cost 6 or 7 bucks. Man I think I need to go into the city. ;D
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

dbondy

Hi oakville smoker I saw the same ad, I was going to get some pork tomorow to do some polish sausage when I get chance. The price was pretty good. They also advertized casings, I'v never seen that before exspecially from a chain store. Sorry that I can,t help you with the capicolla recipe, but I'm shure someone will be along soon to help. :)

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

lumpy

Mind if I ask what store this was advertised in.
Thanks

Lumpy

oakville smoker

Lumpy

Everyone seems to have this stuff on sale this week:

Fortinos
Longos
Superstore

me thinks Fortinos will be my first stop

I think you can even find their "flyers" on line
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

dbondy

Hi lumpy, I saw the ad in the sobeys flyer. I haven,t seen the others yet but they might in the mail box. :)

oakville smoker

10.5  ....   thanks for that
That is an awesome web site, hard not to drool when you look at it
I will be startng some coppa this weekend
Maybe a few other things as well
Going to try to figure out how to cure the damn stuff but I think I found a make shift place under the basement stairs !

Waltz

This site also has a heap of useful information on coppa and other cured meats:
http://curedmeats.blogspot.com/2007/11/coppa-dry-cured.html
Waltz.

lumpy

$1.00 a LB :o :o

I will have to buy lots for that price.

Thanks guys!
Lump

anderson5420

Yes, the old public works joke:  the crew gets to the job, and the lowrider says "I forgot my shovel."  The foreman says "Well, too bad. You'll just have to find something else to lean on."

Quote from: Quarlow on January 08, 2010, 09:31:25 AM
one guy digging and three guys leaning on shovels
So many recipes, so little time!