I split my Butt!

Started by classicrockgriller, December 30, 2009, 09:55:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quarlow

OK all you butt boys here it is. I was at the groc. store today and picked up this.

It is described as "seasoned pork shoulder picnic, butchers choice" it's ingredients are listed as"pork,water,sodium phosphate and salt". It is just a shad over nine lbs and there is 2 in the pack and there is bones showing. The price was $2.98 a kg, cost $12.24 so if I did the math right that works out to $1.36 per lb. which is a good price for any meat around here. At the risk of sounding like the start of last nights conversation on another post, Is this good for pulled pork and if not what would be the way to smoke/cook it? If it is good for pulled pork what preps need doing, like should the skin come off and the like?
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

FLBentRider

That's the "picnic" or "shank" end of the pork shoulder, the opposite end from the butt.

It tends to lend itself more to slicing than pulling, but it can (and has) been pulled.

My understanding is that there is not as much connective tissue in the picnic as there is in the butt.

for a picture, click on the link below and scroll down to the "purchasing pork" pdf file. it shows the location of the shoulder butt and the picnic shoulder.

http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/meatcharts.html

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Quarlow

Ok so I think this is the same thing I bought before and is still in the freezer. I guess the best thing for them is to cure for ham.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

classicrockgriller

Q, take one of them darlings and Slow cook it in the Bradley.

Give it 4 hrs of smoke cook it in 220, until you get a 195 IT

I think the worst you will have is 50% pulled pork and 50% chopped.

Once you mix them together, it's all good.

There's alot of BBQ place that call their pork chopped cause they use picnics.

If you do it with one then you will know what to do with the other three.

Quarlow

Ok so should I skin this bad boy first.

OBS
BBQ

FLBentRider

Quote from: Quarlow on January 12, 2010, 06:44:16 PM
Ok so should I skin this bad boy first.

I would. Better smoke penetration.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

classicrockgriller

The pic almost looks like a roast.

Quarlow

Ok that is what I'll do. Trim the skin and smoke 4 hrs maybe 5 hrs cause I like strong smoke flavour or I'll use mesquite. It was cheap meat so it came home. Got the belt pretty darn tight around here and yeah gots ta do what ya gots to do. Thanks Sonny and FLBR. Oh yeah would you do a mustard slather or anything like that?

OBS
BBQ

classicrockgriller

Can't hurt, makes a nice crust, helps keep meat moist.

Trim it. Season it. wrap it tight in saran and fridge it for the nite.

Tomorrow take it out and let it warm up and maybe add a little more season.

Light coat of mustard. More seasoning on top the mustard. Then smoke that bad boy.

Those last two butts I did (not these on this Thread) I smoke them 8 hrs and then later

3 more hours.

The last 3 hrs were for the reslathering of the Carolina mustard to help make a good crust.

Bring it to 195 to 200. Do your FTC for cpl hrs.

Then decide when you are going to eat it.

If immediately, then pull what you can and what won't pull, chop it up.

Chop up the crust and mix it all together.

Quarlow

Got ya that's what I'll do. so do I trim it. season it. wrap it tight or do I just put it in a bowl inthe frid........just kidding, I was reading what you said. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

OBS
BBQ

FLBentRider

I've ben using the renowned Mr. Brown rub from the recipe site.

No mustard here. Maybe a little CT.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

classicrockgriller

Q, I agree with FBR for a butt.

Don't glob the liquid, make it more of a brushing.

classicrockgriller

I probably shouldn't have used the word mustard.

Something more like a mustard base sauce.

I can't get CT, But my HEB has a Carolina Mustard Sauce that I use.

This is just me but I try to offset the sauce with the seasoning.

If I use a sweet sauce, I try to use a spicy spice and vice versa.

But I am weird, I like to smoke my Butts for 8 hrs! :D

Quarlow

Well I have a third of a bottle of CT and some of Jan's rub. So I think I will add some sugar to the rub and put some on and brush on some CT, let it sit overnight. Smoke for 4 hrs and cook till done.

OBS
BBQ