Smoked Pistachio Nuts

Started by seemore, January 10, 2010, 04:59:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pensrock

I guess I'm also going to have to try this out, they look too good not to.  :)

Rick, was 2 hours at 225 long enough for them to get crunchy? I was wondering if the liquid caused them to soften and if 2 hours was long enough to get all the liquid dryed up.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: pensrock on January 14, 2010, 06:36:54 AM
I guess I'm also going to have to try this out, they look too good not to.  :)

Rick, was 2 hours at 225 long enough for them to get crunchy? I was wondering if the liquid caused them to soften and if 2 hours was long enough to get all the liquid dryed up.

Yes the time was perfect, they are crunchy and good. Going to try some other heat liquid i have, just a smidge cuz its like 5 million scovil units, just the tip of a toothpick dipped in it heats 10 gallons of chili.

pensrock

QuoteGoing to try some other heat liquid i have, just a smidge cuz its like 5 million scovil units, just the tip of a toothpick dipped in it heats 10 gallons of chili.
I know the stuff you are talking about and its very powerful, watch that you do not use too much or you'll end up throwing them away. Also make sure to mix very well.  :o

Gizmo

Got mine finishing off right now.  Didn't have any Green Tobasco so I used regular along with Louisiana Crystal as I did a double batch.  Smoking some jerky as well and had to use a lower temperature.  I have moved the jerky to the dehydrator and cranked up the heat on the smoker to dry the pistachios off.  I probably left them in the liquid too long (to make sure they were well coated), so I hope they crisp up as well if needed.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

OU812

Quote from: Gizmo on January 15, 2010, 08:20:02 PM
Got mine finishing off right now.  Didn't have any Green Tobasco so I used regular along with Louisiana Crystal as I did a double batch.  Smoking some jerky as well and had to use a lower temperature.  I have moved the jerky to the dehydrator and cranked up the heat on the smoker to dry the pistachios off.  I probably left them in the liquid too long (to make sure they were well coated), so I hope they crisp up as well if needed.

If you need to "crisp" them up throw them in the dehydrator for a couple hr.

Gizmo

Probably should have done that but ended up turning the heat up in the smoker and let them go for a couple hours.  Ended up being too high for too long and they are a bit over done.  Most are still edible but very strong in flavor.  I made a second batch with some ribs yesterday.  Quick dip in the sauce and then smoked.  These turned out like my previous smoked pistachios as far as texture but the flavor from the sauce was not as intense as I had hoped for.  Looks like next time I'll go a little longer.

stantonl

Thanks for the recipe. Gave these a try yesterday and I love them. This place is great.

Larry

DarqMan

This really caught my eye.  I can't get enough of pistchios and have a 5lb bag in the pantry now.  I just need to order the frogmats before proceeding.
Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID, Traeger Texas BBQ075, Traeger Junior BBQ055, Bubba Keg with Stoker

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

Gizmo

A co-worker gave me a large container full of almonds that he had left out too long and became stale.  He asked if I could do anything with them to rejuvinate them.  I said I'd try.  I gave them a mix with some seasoning and a little canola oil then smoked them for two hours with some ribs.  After the two hours of smoke I pulled them out and tasted a couple.  They were still not quite back to being crisp so I tossed them into the convection oven at 350 for 15 to 20 minutes.  I went a bit longer then I needed but they are back to being crisp.  I will take them back into work to see what my co-worker thinks.

Bigun

Are these raw pistachios or can you do this with previously roasted nuts

Habanero Smoker

I'm doing a batch of these tomorrow, but I'm going to add Stubb's Chile-Lime Spice Rub and will reduce the salt. I'm using previously roasted.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)