Chocolat Flan for two

Started by ronbeaux, January 09, 2010, 01:01:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ronbeaux

Most of the recipes for flan fill 5 to 6 ramakins so I cut this one down for making just 2.

Its ratio is 2 : 1 : 1/2 of milk, eggs, and sugar. The goal was to fill 2 6oz ramakins so I used 12 oz of sweetened condensed milk and three large eggs combined with 1/3 cup of sugar. The sugar was cut in half so I could use chocolat syrup and sugar together to make the 1/3 cup.

For the caramel I just cooked 1/3 cup of sugar so I could coat the bottom of each ramakin.

They came out perfect and I had almost no left over after filling the ramakins! I'm pretty sure I can use just straight chocolat syrup for the whole 1/3 cup to get even more chocolat flavor.

These things are tricky to cook but well worth the sweet tooth effort!

Prep:

Mix 12 oz of sweetened condensed milk, the eggs, the sugar/chocolat syrup, a teaspoon of vanilla all together real well.

Melt the sugar in a small non-stick pan until it turns brown

The ramakins should be sitting in a larger baking dish filled with very hot water so that at least 1/2 of the ramakin is in the water.

The oven should be set to 325

When the caramel is ready quickly pour it into the bottom of each ramakin to coat the bottoms

Ladle the flan mixture into each ramikin

Place into the oven and let it cook for 30 to 40 minutes.

It is done when you shake the sides and only the very center of the flan wiggles.

Take it out and let it cool still in the water bath.

Remove the ramakins and put them in the fridge to chill completely.

To remove just run a knife around the edges and invert onto the plate.
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

seemore

Ronbeaux that looks lucious!  I may have to try this for Valentine's dessert.
mrs.

classicrockgriller

seemore is right!

Maybe I can con my wife into making them.

Thanks for the recipe ron.

Caneyscud

Ronbeaux, you are the Master!  You just caused me to hit my head on my desk.  I fainted from the shear ecstasy of seeing those exquisite masterpieces.  I don't think I have ever had or seen a chocolate one! 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Tenpoint5

Well Done, My Friend Well Done!! I just gained a pound looking at this Thank-You!!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

ArnieM

Looks real good Ron.  Thanks for the recipe.  This one gets bookmarked.  :D
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

ronbeaux

You guys are welcome!

I made this one up. So consider it patented ::)

It just made sense. Replace the sugar in the batter with chocolat syrup. They are both sugar, right??

You can grow this batch as big as you want if you stick to the ratio

16 oz milk or condensed milk(or a combo)        the 2
4 eggs which is about 8oz                            the 1
1/2 cup of sugar                                          the 1/2
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

oakville smoker

If only the wife liked chocloate !
i am with the only woman in the world that does not think choclate is a subsititute for you know ?????
Damn, I am a lucky guy ....   LOL
I guess I will have to make them and eat them both myself
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?