Dried Pork Loin, Part 1

Started by anderson5420, November 14, 2009, 12:25:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

3rensho

QuoteGenerally if moisture cannot escape, the center of the meat can spoil.

Many books call this case hardening when the outside gets hard and traps the moisture leading to spoilage.  I avoid it when making salami by keeping RH at 70-75%.  I also pre-innoculate the sausage to be dried with white mold like the commercial makers do.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

anderson5420

I think Habs has it spot on.  See my PM to you...

Quote from: HCT on January 18, 2010, 04:38:03 AM
thanks Habs. This makes sense.
So many recipes, so little time!

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: 3rensho on January 18, 2010, 04:50:25 AM
QuoteGenerally if moisture cannot escape, the center of the meat can spoil.

Many books call this case hardening when the outside gets hard and traps the moisture leading to spoilage.  I avoid it when making salami by keeping RH at 70-75%.  I also pre-innoculate the sausage to be dried with white mold like the commercial makers do.

Thanks for the tips. Because of my high humidity problems in my cabinet, the next time I dry cure I may also pre-inoculate.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

HCT

Thanks again all. What is the name of the mold/inoculator you use? 
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: HCT on January 19, 2010, 05:11:20 AM
Thanks again all. What is the name of the mold/inoculator you use? 

The inoculate will not solve your problem because it is due to low humidity. The inoculate is a culture of friendly white mold that is sprayed on the outside of the meat or sausage, and gives it a head start over other mold and bacteria that can be harmful. This white mold is beneficial because it grows rapidly and prevents other more harmful molds and bacteria to get a chance to grow. For me it would be helpful, because my dry curing cabinet humidity levels averaged in the mid-80% RH.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)