What kind of brisket?

Started by watchdog56, January 15, 2010, 06:08:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

watchdog56

Was at Sam's club today and seen this with the other briskets. The other said they were the flat but Sam's was asking $2.96/lb. This was the same size but I noticed it said Beef brisket select COV and the price is $1.35. Just could not pass it up. Is this the same as a regular brisket flat? Sure seems like it to me may just be a different type of grade.

FLBentRider

Looks like a flat to me.

I believe you have been blessed with a brisket.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

watchdog56

I was hoping so. Looked for more but this was the only one at this price. Won't be able to smoke it for a while so I put it in the freezer for later.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: FLBentRider on January 15, 2010, 06:37:09 PM
Looks like a flat to me.

I believe you have been blessed with a brisket.

Amen, are you kin to nepas?

Habanero Smoker

You are correct, the difference in price is that you purchased a lower grade of meat. Select is tougher then choice, and prime being the most tender of the three.

Just as a note; meat grade is voluntary by the industry, so if you don't see the grade it could mean that is select, or the packer didn't want to pay the extra fees that it will cost him to grade the meat. Angus, is different, it can be graded or not. If you see the Certified Angus symbol on meat and not grade; that ensures it is at least choice, and many will argue it is close to prime.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

classicrockgriller

Low and slow and it will be a culinary delight!